18

COLIN'S WORDS STAY WITH ME as I hurry back to my dorm. The chatter in the hall as the boys around me do the same only builds towards my growing headache, and a bubble of panic rises in my throat. You're going to need every ounce of rest you can get. Wiping my sweaty hands on my clothes, I steel myself, forcing myself not to panic. In an attempt to distract myself, I momentarily push his ominous words out of my mind and instead focusing on my vision.

The shock of Milay and Oliver's relationship having worn off, I can't help but wonder what voices Milay was talking about. They obviously existed to some degree, but she seemed sane enough when we talked that I somehow doubt the voices were her own imagination.

The crowd of boys around me begins to turn into the dorm chambers, bringing me out of my thoughts; I turn with them, grateful for the anonymity of being part of a crowd. I've always hated being the center of attention, so being treated just like any other person--even if that included being shoved around--somewhat eases my panic.

Finally reaching my dorm, I wipe my hands again and tuck my hair behind my ear. "Here goes," I mutter to myself, pushing open my door and letting my eyes adjust to the dim light.

Oliver sits on my bed, one of my drawings gingerly sitting in his palm. I blush immediately as Oliver's head snaps up, his brows still furrowed in concentration. "Oh, hey," he says, his face softening. He holds up my drawing, the black-and-white version of his face staring me in the eyes. "I didn't know you drew. These are amazing."

My face grows redder, if that's even possible. "T-Thank you," I stammer out, crossing my arms and bringing my shoulders in close to my body. "Sorry if you don't like being drawn, or anything. I didn't intend for anyone to see them--"

Oliver's eyes widen, his face breaking into a grin. "Are you kidding? Of course I don't mind! I love it." Placing it back on the bed, he scoots over and gestures for me to sit. "Anyway, I'm sure you know why I'm here."

I nod, suddenly at a loss for words. The questions I've been dying to ask stuck in my throat, I simply cross my legs and focus my eyes on the carpet of my dorm. "Okay," I finally breathe out. Glancing over, I meet Oliver's concerned gaze. I clear my throat. "Well, all I know is Milay did something, so Professor Singh is moving the Trials so they're sooner."

Oliver nods slowly. "Do you know what the Trials are?" he asks carefully, studying my expression.

I shake my head. "Everyone keeps dodging my questions. Why is everything so secretive?"

Letting out a shuddering breath, Oliver focuses his gaze on the far wall of my dorm. "The Trials are designed to be the most traumatic experience of your life. It if means scaring you out of your wits, almost killing you, violating your personal space, hurting something you care about it, we do it. Of course, you won't actually die, but some people have come so close we barely got to them in time." He takes another breath, his gaze sliding over to me.

Goosebumps run along my arms, and I shiver, bringing my knees up to my chest. "Why do they do it? What does it have to do with Milay?"

"Your powers only come when you're on the verge of death," Oliver says, running a hand through his hair. He avoids my gaze, looking down. "This morning, Milay attacked a village only a couple miles away from the Academy. Professor Singh thought it would be safer to initiate the Trials now in case she tries to attack the castle again."

I nod slowly, my heart rate higher than when I was on my way here. "So by giving us our powers now and training us to use them, we'll be prepared when she does come for us?"

Oliver nods, a faraway look in his eyes. "The Trials begin tomorrow. I'm supposed to help you get ready, explain any questions you might have." He looks up at me, his gaze finally meeting mine. I've only seen his expression this heavy one other time--in my vision, when he was trying to convince Milay not to attack the school.

Milay.

In all the chaos of tonight, the preparations for the Trials, Milay's attack, I had forgotten all about my vision. Suddenly all sense of comfort Oliver may have put out vanishes like mist in the wake of sun, replaced by the heat of a heavy blush on my face. "Oliver," I say slowly, hoping I'm not making a drastic mistake. If you don't ask now, it will bother you the entirety of the Trials.

"Hm?" Oliver sits a little straighter, as if he had gotten lost in thoughts of his own and was interrupted by my hesitant voice. Memories, perhaps, of his own Trials?

I take a deep breath. "Today, when I passed out, I had another vision." Scanning Oliver's face for any hint of a reaction, I continue. "It was of Milay, six years ago." I swallow; Oliver's open expression doesn't change. "You were there. She--She was about to attack the school."

Suddenly, faster than the crack of a whip, Oliver sits up ram-rod straight, his eyes wide as saucers. "You saw what?"

I try to summon the right words, but they die on my lips. Something in me aches at seeing Oliver this vulnerable; the last thing I want is to make his pain worse. But you have to find answers. I'm a child surrounded by pieces of a huge puzzle, and in my hands are only a few small pieces. How can I possibly make a judgement if I don't know the whole story?

Steeling myself, I clear my throat. "She said there were some kind of voices in her head, and the only way to make them go away was to find some kind of amulet."

Oliver shifts, his eyes an ocean of pain and regret. "Ashlyn, things went on during that time in her life no one should have to live through. It isn't my place to tell you about them, and even if it is, you aren't ready." He pauses, a flicker of a smile touching his lips. "For stars' sake, you don't even have your powers yet."

Frustration builds in me, pushing against a dam I know won't hold much longer. "Oliver, you don't understand. My life changed the moment I touched that stone. I've been plagued with visions practically every waking moment of my time here, and it's all connected in some way to Milay; I know it."

Oliver lowers his eyes and stands, brushing out nonexistent wrinkles in his robes. "Ashlyn, I'm sorry. Just be patient. One day, you'll be able to handle all this," Oliver says, gesturing to empty air with his hands, "but now is not that day." He turns to leave, then stops, glancing back at me. "The Trials begin tomorrow. Be at the Dining Hall with your dragon at sunrise."

"Wait!" I call, standing, but Oliver ignores me, slipping out of my dorm like sand through my fingers.

Hey guys . . . 

I know I haven't updated in over a month, and I'm so so sorry about that. I've been super busy with school and extracurriculars that I haven't had enough time to actually sit down and write a chapter I'm proud of. 

(Also, side note: one thing I had to do was read a novel of my choice for my English class, and the one I read was a m a z i n g. It's called Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke. Go check it out; it's only about 212 pages.)

Anyway, if you're here, thank you so much for sticking with me. At the time of writing this (March 10, 2019), it's Spring Break, so you bet I'm going to be churning out chapters like no tomorrow ;)

As always, please don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter, and comment your predictions! Why is Oliver so secretive about Milay? What's going to happen at the Trials? What do you think Eira (Ash's dragon) is going to be like?

~ Amber