After She Left

Chapter 12

Baekhyun's Point of View

    Never did I think she would remember our history. I thought it was a mistake I could have left behind with the accident. But It never stopped whirling in my head. I never thought she would remember the things that happened, the conversations I had to have.

  I never thought she would remember the things that happened. But with the bad things that happened, the good things disappeared too. Our first kiss. A wonderful yet, heart breaking experience for me. I thought I wouldn't have to remember it.

   After she had hung up, she dropped her phone and began to run towards the hospital. I ran after her, calling her. I wanted to comfort her and bring her back to her senses. 

   "JIN KYUNG!" I called.

   No response. She just kept on running for her life. I was running out of breath when I heard a loud crash. As if in slow motion, I saw a car approaching her. She turned her head flew through the air.

   "JIN KYUNG!" It was too late.

    I ran towards her and picked he head up. She was unconscious. 

   "SOMEONE CALL 1-1-9! (Korea's version of 9-1-1)" I yelled.

   Someone quickly pulled out his phone and dialed the number. I rested her head on my shoulder. I was tearing up a bit. I was so scared. 

   "What's your relation?" the man asked. "Brother?"

   "Umm... Boyfriend." I blushed a little at the thought.

***

   We arrived at the hospital and they took her in quickly. They held me back and didn't allow me to see her. I sat there for hours. Pacing back and forth. Frightened to death that she was gone. That her life had just slipped through my hand. I couldn't lose her.

   Her mom came rushing to me, crying. I looked at her with wide eyes and she gave me a hug.

   "He's gone." She said.

   "I'm so sorry." I said. "What about JIn Kyung?"

   "The doctors said she had a concussion. Resulting in a coma." She whispered through her sobs.

   I dropped into my chair and put my head in my hands. A coma? when would she wake up? I cried silently and thought about her all night. I wanted to she her. I had to. 

   Later that night the doctors called me in and I sprinted into her room. She lay there with a mask on her face and an IV drip in her veins. I sighed when I saw her. I grabbed her hand and tears slipped from my eyes. Jin Kyung was alive, but would she always be?

   "I see your her boyfriend?" the doctor asked.

   "Yes." I said looking at her.

   "And you were with her since the whole incident happened?" he asked.

   "Yes." I replied

   "Okay. Well if she ever wakes up, then she will most likely have forgotten all of the things that happened today. So I recommend not bringing up today."

   "But today was a really important day!"

   "t doesn't matter. It will be too much for her to bear, so please just let her remember these events on her own."

   "Will she ever remember?"

   "Eventually. If she ever wakes up."

   "Could I have a moment?"

   "Of course."

    The doctors and nurses walked out and left me alone with her. I was in so much pain. My heart ached. What if she never woke up? What if she never remember this day? Would I have to move on and accept someone else? I didn't want to think about it, but I had to.

***

   The weekend was over and I had to go back to school. But that Monday, I didn't. I stayed with her and held her hand. I sat next to her and waited for her to wake up. I sighed. She looked so pale and malnourished. I put my head on her bed and thought for a while.

   I then heard the door open behind me. It was my parents.

   "Mom, Dad, I-" they cut me off.

   "Why aren't you at school!?" They were  furious. 

   "Because she's sick and I wanted to stay by her side.

   "You shouldn't let stupid things like these distract you from your studies!" my dad yelled.

   "She's not stupid!"

   "What does she mean to you!?" 

   "I will never leave her. I have to protect her." 

   "What is she to you!?"

   "SHE"S EVERYTHING!"

   They stood there shocked. They seemed to have calmed down a bit, but they were still heated. They left the room and I was once again alone with her. I sighed and looked at her. I saw the tiny little bow on her neck and I smiled slightly. 

   "Jin Kyung. I promise to never leave your side, but I will never try to date you again. I don't want your memory to come and for you to resent me because I love you." I said sincerely.

   I took the necklace from her neck and but the tiny bow into my pocket.

   "I was ready, but now I will wait for your memories." I stood.

   I took the necklace from my pocket and put into a hole that I dug by the river. I covered the necklace and left for home. I was going to wait for her.

   Then five months later she woke from her coma and didn't remember a thing. But I remembered it all.

   That night after she left I ran to the river. And began to dig holes. Time after time again, there was no bow to be found. I spent at least a couple hours trying to find that necklace. Then I dug one last hole and found it. The tiny necklace worn down. I smiled and ran back to her house.

   I washed in under the sink and smiled. I wanted to wait for her to come home, but I fell asleep on her couch. I wondered what it would be like to have the old Jin Kyung back. The one with memories and the accident. The Jin Kyung I fell in love with.