Chapter 16: My First Assignment

I looked at the slip of paper Raven gave me explaining what it is I had to do. At first I thought I was just doing rounds with my nephew which actually seemed pretty easy so far.

After a while I felt myself getting tired. I didn't think rounds would wear me out like this and Minato Jr was able to see it.

"Why don't we stop here and take a break?" He suggested to the rest of the anbu in my group. At first I thought about protesting saying I was fine but I reluctantly agreed.

We stopped by a small stream so we all could rest. As an Anbu I had to hide how I was feeling and I was a natural at it. I've been doing it since Autumn was in my life so it was nothing new. I had my mask on to further hide how I felt.

Just when we were about to start moving Minato Jr heard something and forced the whole troop to stop.

"Why did you stop, Commander?" I asked my nephew worried.

"We're being followed." Was his only reply.

I was worried and held the raijin my brother gave me before he died. I know I had to be careful and make sure nothing happened to my nephew. As far as the mission was concerned...he was my top priority.

I suddenly saw a flash of light which wasn't good. Protecting my nephew was my all that was on my mind, so I pulled him away from the blast. He made it out ok...but I was another story.

"Is everyone ok?" One of the anbu asked.

Minato Jr nodded seeming unharmed. When he turned to me...my side was bleeding bad.

"You...you protected me aunty..."

"I had to...it's not my mission exactly...it's how I was raised..." I close my eyes in way too much pain and I was bleeding out.

"The rest of the anbu are finishing the mission. Right now..." He carefully lifts me. "You're my top priority."

He got me to the hospital then went to the office to report to my sister.

"I see." Raven sighs once she got the report. "How's my sister?"

"She has a deep gash in her side...from protecting me..." he sighed from exhaustion. "But from what the doctors told me it seems like she'll pull through."

"That's a relief. I don't think there are anymore assignments for now so..." She stands up. "I'll go with you to see her."

When I saw them in my room I try to sit up but Raven gently pushed me back. "Rest sis you need to relax after all you went through." She paused. "Did you see who attacked you?"

I shook my head. "No we got blinded by smoke screen. I just moved to protect Jr on instinct."

"At least you're ok." Raven sighed. "I'm sure your wounds will heal soon but that gash is pretty deep so just take it slow alright?"

I nod. "Ok sis."

As I fell asleep in the hospital that night I didn't think my life would change in a few weeks.