Chapter 10: A Fallen Out

"That's what keeps us going. There's things we have to stay alive to do." You said as Clem finished up his stitching then goes to wrap the bandages up. "So...what do you think?" Clem asked Javi. "Nice work." Javi replied as he looks at the bandage. "Thanks. Just glad I could help." Clem said as Javi gets up and puts on his shirt.

"You guys coming?" He asked as Clem puts away the needle and thread. You and Clem exchange a look before Clem turns to him. "We...still have to ask Lingard...about AJ." He said just as you heard a gasp.

The three of you turn and see that Lingard was coming to. "Hello, Clement and (y/n)." He greets then he sees Javi standing next to you two.
"Javier. Thought you were rotting in a cell with David. There any chance he got out, too?" He asked. "Joan took him before I got out. I haven't seen him since." Javi replied to him. "That poor bastard. He's...he's not getting out. Guess there's only one sure way to get away from Joan these days." Lingard groans.

"Why do you care if David got out? He deserves what's coming to him." Clem said, firmly. "If you think that, you don't know David." Lingard said. "I know he's the reason (y/n) and I lost AJ." said Clem, his arms folded across his chest. "When AJ recovered, David was the one who stepped up. Took personal responsibility for that kid." Lingard informed.

"You say that like it's a good thing." You said, skeptical. "I really doubt he was a positive influence."

"David's the reason the kid's better off now than...than he's ever been. You two can be as mad as you want about how....about how things panned out. The fact of the matter is. David's been good for AJ, among others." Lingard said as Javi turns to you. "That's not fair. David can be a good father." He said. "Maybe to his own kids--that doesn't mean we trust him with AJ." Clem remarks. "You should. David Garcia is a good man." Lingard said.

"Yeah, I'm sure he'd agree with you. Sorry if Clem and I don't." You said to him. "I stand by what I said." Lingard said. "If David's taken such good care of him, why did he tell us to ask you where AJ is?" Clem asked him, angrily.
"That's what this is about, then? You...both of you want to know where the boy is?" Lingard said at he leans against his left hand and taps his temple.

Then he reaches over next to him and grabbed a syringe then starts to stick the needle in the medicine bottle.

"What do you want?" Javi asked him. "I...I just want to die. I want you to inject this into me." Lingard said as he starts to fill the syringe up. "Hang in there. Tomorrow's another day." Javi said to him. 

"I...I can't." Lingard whispered as he pulls the syringe out of the bottle and sets the bottle aside. "When your brother found me, he...he got me to care about everything I'd given up on. My life, other people, even this damn place. Without him around, I don't want to care anymore." Lingard said as he holds the needle out to Javi.
"Just tell us where he is!" Clem shouts, angrily, as he slams his fists on top of the table next to Lingard. "Then you won't have any reason to do it." Lingard said as Javi takes the needle and looks down at it.

"Javi, Clem and I have to know. We've been looking for too long. We can't lose him now. Not when we're this close." You plead to him but Javi shakes his head and hands the needle back to Lingard. "I'm sorry, guys. We can't do this." Javi said. "No! We have to." You said, angrily. "If you won't, I will." Clem said and he starts to walk towards Lingard.

Javi grabs his arm and said. "Clem, stop. He's not in his right mind. You can't do this." Clem struggles in his grip and said. "Let go of me! I'm taking the deal!"

"We'll find AJ. Just not this way." Javi said. "There is no other way!" You shouted at him then you turn to Lingard and said. "Where is-"
"You can consider the deal off." Lingard said as he sets the syringe to the side and crossed his arms. "No!" You and Clem exclaim and both of you turn to Javi. "Javi! How could you!" Clem shouts as you glare up at Javi.