Prologue - II

“They are here!” someone cried. The old Victorian mansion broke into frenzy.

The lady of the house nodded at her trusted Anne Marie. The young Frenchwoman nodded back understandingly and proceeded quietly towards the nursery. Its occupant was fast asleep in the midst of her snowy white covers, just a soft mop of red hair peeking from underneath. She was gathered in Anne Marie’s able arms and carried silently to her mother.

Tears filled the eyes of Lady Rosalind as she beheld the apple of her eye in another’s’ arms, however willingly given. Anne Marie was kind and loving, but how could she replace the woman who had held that little bundle of joy within her for nine months, her own flesh and blood? Yet she must do the impossible, Rosalind thought with a heavy heart. Blinking away her tears, for time was rushing past, she held her baby in her arms one last time. Yes, she knew this would be the last time. Placing a tight kiss on the babe’s sleeping brows, she whispered,

“Goodbye, my precious. Be good and grow strong. Mama loves you - always and forever.”

She handed the child back to Anne Marie. As the latter made to leave, Rosalind caught hold of her arm.

“Find him!” Her voice was filled with urgency. “You must find him!”

Anne Marie nodded. Her eyes watering, she clutched the baby tight in her arms and ran out, leaving a huge, crumbling old mansion behind – a fortress now under siege – its Lady all alone inside, defending her stronghold to the last.

The following morning villagers gathered to see the old Victorian mansion razed to the ground overnight, marvelling at such an unholy occurrence. The mansion had stood in this fishing village in the outskirts of Cardiff as long as living memory served among the mortals. The fall of something this old and hitherto considered indestructible must surely bode of unspeakable evil. The end of days was here.

Eight miles away, not far from a cathedral, the lifeless body of a young French maid was discovered lying in a ditch, her neck twisted. It was speculated that she must have lost her footing in the dark and hence died from a bad fall. Her long cold arms still clutched on to a very fine quality baby’s blanket. There was no sign of any infant in the vicinity.