Worse

"How do I look?" I asked Holly. I needed to look perfect for my first day of work. After the argument Chris and I had last night, I had decided to forget about him. All we did was argue, or fuck, and to be honest I couldn't deal with that. He had made it perfectly clear that he wanted nothing to do with me from what he said last night. I'm done with you, I'm done with us. His voice rang through my brain, I cleared my throat and pulled at my shirt.

She nodded, "Yeah, you look great."

Okay. I made my way to work while listening to Rude by Magic, my favourite song, I hummed along to it while biting my nails, I was really nervous. It was only a little job, I had nothing to worry about.

"There she is!" My boss smiled, greeting me and handing me an apron.

I put it on quickly, "Thanks, boss."

"Call me Ian." He said, walking to the cash register.

I looked at my name tag, it said my name, I was way too excited about this. "Okay... Ian." I giggled. After serving a few customers, Ian looked a bit irritated. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's just my- don't worry." He walked away.

I shrugged and walked over to a couple of guys who had their arms out gesturing for me to go over to them, "Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, my friend was too much of a pussy but he wants your number." The dark haired one laughed, nudging the blushing fair haired one.

I laughed awkwardly, "Oh." I looked at the fair haired guy, "Just before you leave, come over to the register and I'll give you my number. Don't get your friends to ask for you." I left the table, smirking. I heard them all go 'Ooooh.' I rolled my eyes. I continued to serve customers while Ian paced up and down, something was wrong. "What's wrong Ian?" I asked him, placing dirty cups on the side.

"I think my other employee isn't coming." He sighed.

It was only another employee, what was the big deal? "Oh... I'm sure they'll be here soon." Although they were half an hour late. I went back to work immediately, trying to focus as well as I could without worrying about Ian and his obsession with missing employees.

"There you are!" Ian said. I ignored him and carried on taking someone's order. "Why are you so late? It's not a good first impression, Mr Evans." As soon as I heard the word 'Evans' I turned my head around, and there he was, Chris. I sighed and finished serving a customer, why did this have to happen? I was trying to avoid him and now he's my co-worker? Fuck. Could things get more awkward?

"Sophia!" Ian called. Chris's head whipped around and stared at me, he looked more shocked than I thought he would. "Meet Chris, the late-comer"

Okay, should I pretend that I didn't know him or tell Ian that we knew each other? If I told Ian we knew each other he'd ask how and then I would have to explain everything and I wasn't in the mood. Before I could think of anything else, Chris held his hand out, I shook it slowly, "Nice to meet you, Sophia." Chris stared right into me.

"You too, Chris." I let go of his hand and went back to work. Yes, things could get more awkward.

While working, I had to give the random guy my number, it was also extremely awkward because Chris was watching him, he looked so angry, I was kind of enjoying teasing him.

Chris's POV:

I can't believe Sophia is here. I wanted to forget about her, not work with her. I hated that fair haired son of a bitch as soon as he started talking to her. You could clearly see she wasn't interested in him in the slightest, and yet she gave him her number? What the fuck? She seemed so much calmer now I had told her to forget about us, maybe she never wanted to be together in the first place. I don't fucking know, this was too complicated. I still loved her, I'd just have to get over it.

A group of guys called me over to their table, "Bro, uh, you know that girl over there?" They looked over at Sophia, who's hair looked amazing tied in a bun. I nodded slowly, "What uni does she come from?"

"Brandeis University. Why?" I asked.

He laughed, "Because if every girl looked like that in Brandeis, I'd switch. Jesus Christ that girl is hot, her ass-"

"Don't speak about girls like that." I interrupted him. "Especially that girl, got it?" Sophia will not be spoken about like that, I don't care that she wants nothing to do with me and I don't want to speak to her but it doesn't mean I have no respect for her.

He nodded, "Woah, are you her boyfriend or something?"

"No. He's not." I heard her snap. Sophia seemed to have been behind me this whole time. "And thanks, I think you're hot too." She replied to him with a wink. She was playing a game with me, I swear. I walked away, too angry to say anything, this was so ridiculous. I stood up for her and she makes me look like an idiot trying to protect some girl. I stormed into the kitchen and took a deep breath, I was hoping that I'd calm down before she would see me.

This job wasn't easier, it was worse.