Chapter Five: An Unexpected Guest (or Two)

**NO ENDGAME SPOILERS**
——————————————————-
Tony's stomach growled. He had been up in space for a few months now, and their food had finally run out. (Yes, even the fruit).

   Tony tilted his head back, resting it on the cool, broken ship. At this point he had grown numb to the pain. He felt truly lost. For once, maybe he couldn't save the day. Maybe there wasn't hope. Maybe he got lucky with Thanos. But this... he must've been in over his head. He should've taken the others. Asked for help when he needed it. But now he was paying for his actions.

   Nebula sat quietly at the table, looking at Tony's slumped body sitting on the floor. Her technological upgrades allowed her to function without food and oxygen for much longer periods of time. Tony, however... well, with the ventilation broken, oxygen running out within two days, and the food run out, he was already a dead man, just waiting to rot.

Nebula watched the dying man with sad eyes. He had been fiddling with his suit's helmet for days now. All communications were out, and even the great Tony Stark had to admit that even he couldn't save himself this time. He had to admit that even he needed a hero sometimes.

Tony tinkered with the helmet throughout the night and the next day. He had no other purpose but to try and send one last message to the ones he loved. One final goodbye...

Finally he thought maybe, just maybe the communications in his helmet were stable enough to potentially send a message.

Tony sat down against the cool metal wall, looking into the eyes of his suit. Once a reflection, now a mask.

He clicked the record button.

   "Hey, guys. It's Tony here. Or at least what's left of me." Tony gave a half-hearted and sad chuckle. "You... may not even get this transmission... and even if you do, I doubt I can receive one back... Nebula and I have been adrift up here a few months by now, I'd assume. God, I'm sorry... I know sorries can't fix the things I've done.. but I should've listened.. I should've let you come..."

   Tony sighed. "We've run out of food long ago. The water probably isn't even that clean anymore. The ship's busted. We're... well, we're lost in space.. set to drift off into that vast nothingness, I guess. Oxygen runs out tomorrow.."

Tony looked straight into the camera. "Peter, I want you to know that I am so proud of you. And you had nothing to be sorry for. And Rhodey, I know I should've ridden with you. Happy, I hereby grant you a five year paid vacation. Full retirement coverage. Have fun, buddy. You've earned it. And Steve... I'm sorry. We never should've let that get between us.
"Clint.. you have fun with those kiddos, man. They're one hell of a windstorm, but you gotta love em. Say hi to the wife for me. Bruce, it's been an honor working by your side.
   "Nat... I'm gonna be honest with you, you scare the shit out of me sometimes." Tony chuckled. "But I know you care. And Barnes.. I'm sorry for how I've treated you. I want you to know that it's not your fault. I no longer blame you. I mean that. Play nice with Sam, now.
"As for the rest of you, it has been my pleasure working so closely with you all these past few years.
    "And Pepper... I love you so much more than I could ever express. You're the only one crazy enough to deal with me after all this time... I'm sorry I never took the time to appreciate it. But here I am, all the time in the world on my hands. And nothing to show for it. I'm not Iron Man.."

   A tear fell down Tony's cheek. "I wish I could see Pete go off to college. I wish we could've had that wedding. I wish I'd have never pushed away half my friends for so long. I wish.." Tony's voice cracked, and his voice became a course whisper. "I wish I could hold you in my arms one last time.. and tell you it's all going to be okay... I love you, Pep. I love all of you so much, but I was too wrapped around my own big head to ever show it. I'm sorry. I know I'm not a good man, Miss Potts."