chapter one: the beginning

the boisterous class in the room could be heard through the door you were right in front of. how long have you been standing there? you couldn't remember. anxiety had taken control over your body once you entered the building. it's normal to be nervous..anyone would be nervous when in a new environment...

slowly you outstretch your hand and slide the door open.

"hey teach-" a raspy voice stops abruptly when hearing the sliding of the door. everyone's attention goes to the source being you.

"you must be the new student i was informed about. you are rather late as this is the last class of the day," the teacher comments as you awkwardly stand in front of the entrance after sliding the door closed.

the class immediately regains their volume from before. if you were nervous before, it increased tenfold now.

"a new student?"

"what's with that mask?"

"what's your quirk?"

more questions were thrown in your direction and you didn't make a noise. your ears were actually hurting from how loud they all were. you decided you had enough of just standing there and turned to look at your new teacher expectantly. when will he tell me where i sit?

"may i ask where i'll be sitting?" you quietly ask him, hiding how impatient you actually were.

"you'll be sitting behind midoriya." you nodded slightly and turned back to the class before you, hopelessly trying to find who the teacher so helpfully mentioned.

just as you were about to give up, a green haired boy raised his hand up and waved at you. the seat behind him was empty. you let out a quiet sigh of relief before taking your seat.

suddenly all the talking stopped when a screech of a chair ripped through the air. footsteps soon follow and come to a stop next to you.

you look up from the desk you were staring at absentmindedly for a few seconds to see an ash blonde boy looming over you with a menacing scowl. "what's your quirk freak?" he questions roughly, vermillion eyes staring daggers into you.

you began to sweat slightly from the tension. you just got here and already someone wants to mess with you? why had god forsaken you? why isn't the teacher doing anything?? stupid fu..

"you aren't going to speak? you think you're better than me don't you?" his anger only seems to grow with your silence. the ash blonde leans forward, getting uncomfortably close to your face. "why do you even wear that fucking creepy mask? maybe..i should take it off."

his left hand reaches out for your mask but you quickly snatch his wrist before he could grab it.

the whole class gasps, even the teacher. the boy's eyes widen in shock for a split second.

he harshly rips his hand out of your grasp and angrily stomps out of the classroom.

the green haired boy that sat in front of you turns his whole body to you. his eyes were full of..admiration? "i-i can't b-believe you stood up to kacchan.." he stutters out.

"it was nothing.." you mutter quietly, ignoring him and other lingering stares.

soon class ends and you took your time to gather your things until you were the last one in class, that is until you notice a certain green haired boy standing by the door way.

"why are you still here?" you question him as you mount your black backpack on your back.

"well i ju-" he was interrupted with a hard shove behind his back followed by two more. the ash blonde boy along with some other guys who you assumed were his friends enters the classroom.

he walks towards his desk to retrieve his backpack and slings it over his shoulder. when he looks up he catches you watching him with those unreadable eyes.

"what the fuck are you looking at?" he spits out. that makes you snap out of your staring and turn to leave.

"why aren't you talking? are you mute?" venom was laced with every word he yelled out at you. his heavy footsteps could be heard as he approaches you. he lays a hand on your shoulder to forcefully turn you around to face him, "come on, speak."

even though he's incessantly yelling at you to speak, you don't give in. you didn't want to give him the satisfaction of giving into his wants. "k-kacchan stop-" midoriya manages to speak up although it may have sounded frail.

his whole body was shaking like a leaf in the wind. the ash blonde or kacchan? stops his yelling to direct his attention to the poor green haired boy, "what makes you think i'd listen to a quirkless bastard? do you want to fight me deku? i don't think you can stand a chance against me."

kacchan lets go of your shoulder and stalks to midoriya intimidatingly. he shoves the small boy to the ground, hard. you hated violence. you hated seeing midoriya look so vulnerable as he's being picked on. he reminded you of yourself. vulnerable. scared.

some of the contents in his bag falls out and one of kacchan's minions found a notebook that caught their eye, "what's this? a diary?"

"don't tell me you are taking notes on how to be a hero."

"that's so pathetic."

"he's delusional."

"r-real funny guys, just g-give it back!" midoriya pleads, color seeming to drain from his face when kacchan holds the notebook in his hand.

that's when you had enough of just standing there and doing nothing. you activated your quirk, stopping everything. you take the book from kacchan's hands, pick up all of the things that fell out of midoriya's bag to put them back, and carry him out of the room until you are out of the school.

you let out a breath you didn't even know you were holding all this time and hold deku close knowing he'd be disoriented after you used your quirk. you deactivate it and everything is alive again. the sound of trees and bushes rustling in the wind, car engines vrooming, other civilians talking, etc.

"AH!" the green haired boy screams, surprised that he's in someone's arms. when he notices it's just you he doesn't panic anymore but flushes a bright red, "w-what?" was all he could stutter out in an embarrassed state.

"i'm sorry i used my quirk on you..i didn't want you to get hurt.." you let him go after you think he's stable enough to stand on his own.

he shakes his head quickly and puts his hands up in front of him to reassure you, "n-no it's fine really! thank you for doing that i-i really appreciate it." you just give him a dismissive wave of your hand then turn to leave. "well..i'll be going now.."

"wait- how did you move so quickly?" he asks, desperate to know how you managed to stop kacchan from doing anything else.

"training."

"what's your quirk?" he nervously fiddles with the straps of his backpack, afraid that you'll lash out at him for seeming so nosy.

"time."

"time? you can control time? wow- that's so cool!" he takes a pencil and the notebook you saw before out of his bag to write things down on it, "do you control your quirk with your hands? what's the limit? is there any limit? what are-"

"i can't answer all of your questions midoriya, maybe tomorrow at lunch?" you turn to him slightly, waiting for his answer. the boy flushes once again, but a lighter shade this time. he stutters out an apology and gives a small nod.

"one more question though.."

"yes?"

"what's your name?"