chapter two: bittersweet

𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄𝐒
the beginning of the chapter is a time skip
to the middle of the school year. i know things are somewhat slow right now but i promise things will be much more interesting in the future. the chapters will be longer as time passes too.

-

"are you sure you aren't hungry? i can close my eyes and you can eat some of my food if you want..i promise i won't look," midoriya offers.

you shake your head, rejecting him kindly. he nods reluctantly and continues to eat. you both sat on a bench outside of school during lunch. it became a normal thing for the two of you to make certain places in the school 'meeting spots.' most of the classes you had was with midoriya and the only class you had with bakugou was your last class. thank god.

"(y/n)?" you give a small hum as an answer, giving the boy sitting next to you your attention now that you are out of your mind.

"you've been really quiet lately..i-i mean you're usually quiet but not this quiet..." midoriya comments, his bento is packed away now that he's done eating.

why does he have to be so observant? you thought you were doing well with keeping your act up the whole school day. recently you haven't been talking as often with midoriya because certain things have been on your mind.

"i'm just tired, sorry if i was worrying you.." you lied. the feeling of guilt slowly started to creep up to the surface and you couldn't push it down no matter how hard you tried.

he believes your lie and the conversation ends like that. the sound of the school bell rings not a second later to tell you that lunch was over.

-

both midoriya and you exit the school, walking side by side to the school gates. if only things were different..

"midoriya..i can't walk home with you today. i actually need to make dinner for my dad because he'll be home soon. sorry.." your chest clenched at the lie that was spewing out of your mouth. it felt tighter when you noticed how his demeanor deflated a little but he still gave you that bright smile.

"it's okay really! we can always walk together tomorrow." you wished that were true.

"yeah..well i'll be going now.." after you said that you wrapped your arms around him and held him close. maybe this was a bit too affectionate for a simple goodbye to him, but you couldn't help it.

he was surprised at first, just standing there with his arms awkwardly by his sides. once he registers what is happening he hesitantly returns the embrace.

after a few minutes you pull away and turn your back to him to start your walk home.

"bye midoriya.."

you knew if you turned back around you'd want to tell him everything face to face but you couldn't do that, you knew that.

-

the next day your seat was empty and a certain ash blonde noticed. you would always come to school without missing a single day so he thought it was strange for you to not be there.

"where's your girlfriend?" bakugou questions the green haired boy who responded with a shaky shrug.

"s-she's not my girlfriend and i don't know..maybe she's si-"

midoriya was interrupted by their teacher entering the classroom and telling everyone to take their seats.

when everyone listened and quieted down he began to speak, "before we start class i'm going to inform you all of one of your fellow classmates, (l/n) (y/n), she has transferred schools due to some personal reasons i will not disclose."

midoriya couldn't believe what he was hearing. you transferred..without even telling him beforehand? why? now he understood why you were acting so weird yesterday and gave him that hug..

his eyes glossed over with unshed tears and his hands trembled on his lap. why didn't you tell him? he couldn't bring himself to be mad at you but more sad that you didn't tell him.

"so she finally dropped you, huh? i'm surprised she didn't sooner," bakugou quips with a snarky smirk. this only seems to add onto the emotional pain midoriya was feeling and his tears were on the brink of falling.

he inhaled and exhaled slowly, trying to control his emotions.

class ended and midoriya sluggishly starts to pack his things when bakugou and his friends approach him.

"of course she dropped you. i bet once she realized how much of a fucking loser you're she left," bakugou spits out. now he's leaning forward to be face to face with the shaking green haired boy.

"s-stop.." midoriya pleads, the tears he was holding before now coming back.

"what? can't handle the truth deku? like you can't face the harsh truth that you can never become a hero?" the ash blonde was spitting every word with venom, not taking a second to pause.

this had done it. midoriya started to cry no matter how hard he tried to hold them back. bakugou looked on with disgust.

"tch. pathetic." bakugou turns around and walks towards the exit to leave with his friends.

recollecting himself, midoriya leaves the classroom to go to his locker and pick a few books up.

when he unlocks his locker, a folded piece of paper slips out and onto the ground. he crouches down to pick it up and unfolds it. the letter was written by you.

midoriya,

i want to apologize for not telling you this sooner..about my transferring. i'm going to assume you found out when the teacher announced it. if things were different, i wouldn't have left.

i wanted to tell you face to face about my transferring but i just couldn't do it. i was too scared of seeing what your reaction would be. i was scared of you being upset with me. i'm sorry for my cowardly actions.

i hope you don't hate me for this? maybe one day we will cross paths again. hopefully you'll still remember me. i won't ever forget you, midoriya.

remember that you're still my best friend even if we are far apart and that i really do care about you. please don't let anything stop you from being a hero.

i know you'll achieve many things in the future. i promise you that. till we meet again ~

sincerely,

(l/n) (y/n)

drops of tears start to dampen the letter. midoriya holds it to his chest and cries quietly, taking in the bittersweet feeling that was overtaking him.

"i really hope we meet again.."