Part 6

"Mrs. Randall...Was anyone else in the home? 

The room was silent as everyone watched and listened.  Natalie, distraught, began to rock.  She wrapped her arms around herself, peering at Joseph's bloody body from the living room.  

"Mrs. Randall? Do you recall anything from last night?  We found two phones on the victim.  One was an old pay as you go phone.  Would you happen to know what that is about?"  

Natalie remained silent.  Detective Carter leaned back on the ottoman and caught a glimpse of something shiny beside Natalie. 

 "Mrs. Randall, I see something near you in the chair, do you mind if I reach beside you and take it?" 

Natalie never responded.  She was lost somewhere in between a dream and a nightmare.  Observing intently from the office, Neil reached for the box of gloves and furbishes a pair to Carter.  He snapped the gloves on quickly and carefully.  He reached over and pulled out a knife with a wooden handle.  Everyone in the room gasped.  "I need this collected and bagged" Carter demanded.

"Mrs. Randall, what happened here? Was your husband involved in any illegal activities?  Did he have any enemies?  Do you know anyone that may have wanted to hurt your husband? Is there a reason why you had a knife lying beside you?

Natalie continued to rock.  Her eyes glued to the office.  Mendez walked over to Carter.  She tapped his shoulder and motioned for him to get up.  She sat down on the ottoman.  She observed Natalie's blank stare.  Frustrated, she sucked through her teeth and took a deep breath, furnishing a trusting smile.

"I know you are grieving Mrs. Randall.  I would be upset also if I lost my husband in such a cruel manner but we need to know who did this.  You had a knife in the chair you are sitting in.  Did he hurt you?  Did he try to hurt you?  Is it possible that you did this to him?"  Natalie never acknowledged her presence. 

 I mean...he is a big guy.  If he tried to hurt you, you had to defend yourself, you had to protect you and your child.  It's o.k. to admit that".  Mendez watched Natalie intently.  She snapped her fingers in front of her. Natalie offered no response.  Becoming frustrated, Mendez's voice started to toughen. 

"Look...I know for a fact that you did this.  At the least, you will serve 5-7, Hell. You may even get a slap on the wrist with a jury trial and serve no time.  So let's just cut the bull shit and talk about how you killed him".

"That's enough!  An older white woman approached from behind the chair where Natalie was sitting.

"Who are you and how the hell did you get in here", Carter yelled.

Mendez rose from the ottoman and walked over to Carter.  

"That's the neighbor that saw the men arguing in the driveway with Mr. Randall two weeks ago".

"I don't give a damn who she is.  This is an active investigation.  Who's responsible for this?"  The officers stood in silence looking at one another for answers.

"No one is responsible so hold your horses.  I slipped in when no one was looking".

Mrs. Victoria Pritchard was a small framed woman who was relatively short in stature.  She wore a pink feathery robe with matching slippers.  Even as night prepared to leave and dawn slowly set in, her wrist and neck glistened with diamonds.  She held a small dog with a diamond pink encrusted collar.  She was the epitome of wealth, And wealth commanded respect.

"Get her outta here", Neil bellowed peeking out from the office.  Two officers approached her, grabbing her by the arm.

"Let go of me! She snatched her arm from the officers as the little dog growled and snarled his teeth towards them.