Part 14

"Natalie, who is Akoni James to you?", Carter leaned back to observe her reaction.

"Akoni?"  Natalie was taken aback.  "Akoni is my daughter's father.  Why do you ask?".

"Mr. James's number is on your burner phone more than several times.  I read the text messages between you two.  All there was, was an address located in Calvert County.  You did, however, text him, Thank You.  From that moment on he called you repeatedly.  Up until 1 am; the night Joseph was killed.  Can you explain that?"  Carter leered at her.

"Well, I told you.  That's how Joseph knew I was leaving him.  He went through the phone and saw the message.  I never told Akoni when I was leaving Joseph. He was probably worried about me".  Natalie stopped twirling the ring and glared back at Detective Carter.

"So, Mr. James knew of the abuse?" Carter never broke his gaze with her.

"Yes.  I told Akoni."  Natalie furrowed her brows at Carter and began twisting her ring again.

"Why would you tell Mr. James and not the authorities?"  Carter folded his hands.

"Joseph would have killed me.  He would have been detained for a short time and had gotten out quickly.  He told me this himself because he was a lawyer.  He told me he would find me.  And I believed him.  He told me, if I ever told, he would kill me and take my son.  I trusted Akoni.  I knew he would provide me shelter.  And he did.  I really had no choice but to tell him.  He saw Joseph push me."  Natalie looked up at Carter.

"When was this?" Carter asked

"About a couple of weeks ago.  Akoni came over to speak to Joseph about something the two of them had planned.  Joseph came home and saw Akoni walking out of the house."  She had started to shake her foot and continued to twist the ring quickly around her finger.  The thought of the beating Joseph gave her that day after Akoni left, began to bring about fear and agitation.

  "When he saw Akoni, he began to argue with him.  The two had gotten in each other's face.  I tried to break them apart and Joseph pushed me to the ground.  Akoni got angry.  His boys had to hold him back.  He was ready to fight Joseph".  Natalie rubbed the throb in the back of her head.  It had started to ache and spread.

"This is the incident your neighbor Mrs. Pritchard was referring to? " Carter asked

"Yes.  Victoria is the one that tried to call the police."  Natalie looked up at Carter, barely able to hold her head up.

"We didn't have a report of anyone coming out there.  What happened?" Carter asked.

"That's because Joe told her not to call and that he would handle it."

"Natalie.  How close are you and Mr. James?"  Carter searched her face.

"We had a relationship a few years back but have been nothing but friends throughout the years."  Natalie shifted herself in the chair.  The throb was starting to spread.

"Is it possible that you and Mr. James could have been seeing each other?"  Carter continued to search her face.

"No! " Akoni and I share a daughter and nothing else".  Natalie's lips had formed in a tight line.  Her head felt as though it was about to explode and she had begun to feel slightly dizzy. Carter's demeanor was no longer as pleasant as before.  She was ready to leave.

"I have read his record.  Akoni is no stranger to violence.  He had an attempted murder charge about 17 years ago and a kingpin charge.  He was also found in violation of probation with a possession charge of cocaine,  a street value of $20,000.  I remember him.  What I don't understand, is why a man you haven't slept with or communicated with frequently, was ready to risk going back to jail on a possible assault charge? For him to do back uptime, for an old love that he saw pushed to the ground, is a little off-kilter".  Carter leaned back again in the chair watching her.