Chapter Thirty-Four

Aidan's arms surround me, pressing me up into the window of my car. The weekend has flashed in a blur, the hours slipping away like shells in a rushing shoreline. While it began with a rough, hectic start, somewhere between the days, we found our equilibrium and spent most of our time together locked away, hiding from Victoria and any other things that could disturb our splendor.

I don't have the same dreading feeling I did when I left here the first time. This is a relationship. He's informed me of that much—a revelation. It's like pulling teeth to get a man to admit anything. Aidan is a rare breed of man, in touch with parts of himself that make him seem older than his age, wiser.

"Be careful on the trip," I say into his neck, wondering why he's going to visit his father-in-law in California. It could be an obligation, a ritual he hasn't informed me of, although, I was pretty positive judging by the way he's spoken about her side of the family that they rarely keep in contact. I refuse to jump to conclusions.

"It's California. Not the Rockies, Jo." I chuckle with a knowing nod, and pull back. He brushes back my bangs blowing in the wind, and a few of the strands that have escaped my braid. "What are you going to do about Samantha?" he asks, making me regret mentioning the fight to him.

"I don't think there is much I can do. I've called her. She's ignored it. I've tried to explain." I squint, uncomfortably. "Unfortunately, on paper, you're kind of suspicious, Hughes."

He smiles, slowly, smart enough to know I don't mean that offensively. "Yeah, sorry about that."

"I'll survive," I sigh, amusedly, lifting onto my toes to kiss him, passionate, but short enough to leave him wanting. I feel victorious when his eyes slant tellingly while I slip out of his grasp, and pull open the driver's side door. He leans against it as I get situated, switching on the heat. My front windshield has been scraped, and defrosted already. I am truly spoiled.

"Maybe she'd feel better if she met me then."

Whoa. I glance up to him, blinking slowly. "You'd...do that? After what happened?"

He shrugs, sticking his hand into his pocket. He must be freezing without a coat, but right now, I enjoy the sight of the thin sweater billowing against his skin, conforming to his lean, athletic form.

"She's your best friend, Jo. I've made things very complicated for you. If I can fix this, maybe...maybe she'll come around."

I'm smiling wider when he leans into the car, seeking my mouth. I clasp on his face, and he shivers at my icy fingers, but doesn't pull back despite it.

"Thank you. I'll see what she says."

He nods, backing up. "Do. I'll talk to you soon."

                                                 ***

"You're late," Matthew states obviously, bombarding me at the elevators. I've worked here long enough to expect his presence at any time, but due to his recent and irritating desire to rid me of all my good conscience, I'm caught off guard, and he notices my slight jump.

He trails the halls beside me, keeping up with my brisk pace.

"You know, if you wanted me to fire you, you could just say it."

"I have no intention of being fired."

"Oh? And showing up two hours late, refusing to answer your boss when he calls...I'm just supposed to let that slide?"

I nod, my confidence sky high considering what's in my hands, what I spent the good part of my morning acquiring. "Can you afford to lose me?"

"Well, noting that the best I've received from you in weeks is a two-page commodity on celebrity stalkers, mere doodling on your part, I think maybe you're burning out."