because of clyde parker| forty-four

FOR THE SECOND TIME in a span of barely an hour Dawn Marshal had another 'what the fuck' moment, when she saw her mother gracing them with her presence in her work clothes, with gleaming pumps and all ready to take the day by a storm

"Care to explain, why my house is swarming with half-naked teenagers this early in the morning?" Taking a diplomatic stance, Mrs. Marshal crossed her arms over her chest, her icy glare freezing them in their steps.

"Mrs. M, we were just doing the ice bucket challenge, ya know." Alec let out a nervous chuckle as Dawn's mother raised one of her eyebrows, and stared at their group incredulously, not buying whatever BS they were selling.

"Erm...Dawn honey why don't take your friends upstairs," Mrs. Marshal's gaze lingered on her daughter before turning to the rest of them, "I am in a bit of a rush this morning but Mia and Alec please do make yourselves feel at home."

"Will sure do, Mrs. M!" Alec saluted at his best friend's mother and flashed a boyish grin. Unable to resist his charm, Mrs. Marshal too smiled back and scurried away to the front door.

"Have a good day, Mrs. Marshal!" Mia called out after her.

When the front door clicked shut, the whole group proceeded to send daggers Alec's way, "I just saved all your asses, a thank you would be nice!" Alec rolled his eyes when Dawn smacked him at the back of head.

"The ice bucket challenge? Seriously that's so 2014! You couldn't think of anything better?"

"But..but I tho-"

"C'mon guys we have a shit ton of tea to spill!" Mia linked both her arms around either of them and was about to drag them upstairs.

"Yea sure you guys have fun," Ethan scratched the back of his neck uncertainly, "I better go and catch some Z's before work."

"Where do you think you are going, Ethan?" Dawn attempted to reach out and grab him by the scruff of his neck but only managed to clutch into a fistful of air. Ethan crossed his arms around his chest and wiggled his eyebrows at her tauntingly and Dawn took that scope to toss her arm around his neck, locking him in a headlock and tackled him upstairs.

Together, they all imploded into her room and just as she thought, everything she was trying to escape from, it all came rushing back. It's like Clyde Parker will never leave her even when he's gone. She bit back a sob. Did she want him gone? She did not know and even if she had, she wasn't ready to admit that to herself yet.

Her room felt smaller with all of them invading into her personal-space. Mia was lying on the couch, with her limbs dangling from the edge, Dawn sat Indian-style on her bed, and tossed her hair into a messy bun, Ethan and Alec were sprawled all over her fuzzy rug, their legs tangled and eyes locked, they looked dazed and in love. So ridiculously in love that Dawn almost barfed in her mouth, so ridiculously in love that Dawn had to wipe a stray tear that had leaked down her eyes.