Chapter II

Chapter II

I trudged through the ankle deep snow into the woods, whistling as I went. I walked for about five minutes, snow and ice crunching underfoot before I heard something. I stopped. I heard it again off in the distance. It sounded like someone calling faintly off to my right. I listened. It sounded like a man calling someone. "Well, nice to see I was right as always." A voice suddenly said right behind me. I jumped and spun around. Standing there were mark, Dillon, and Adam. "What do you want Mark?" I asked. "Well, you know the usual, a Lamborghini, a couple million dollars, and how about a mansion." he said smirking, "but, for now I think I'll just settle for you." I looked at Dillon and Adam who were getting closer. I ran.

I ran through the wet crackling snow as the three psychopaths chased behind me. I rushed past trees and brambles hoping for just a minute I could get away. I ran until I came to the creek that runs through the woods. I stopped and looked behind me, I could hear the trio running in my direction but I couldn't see them. Behind me was a trail of of footprints, I bent down and dug through the snow until I found a small stone and put it in my pocket, I looked over to the tree to my left and started to climb.

When I reached as high as I could go I looked down and saw Mark, Dillon, and Adam looking for me. "Where'd he go?" Adam asked. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the stone. I reared back as far as I could and threw it across the creek. They suddenly turned and ran off towards the stone. I climbed down and ran off. I ran until I came to a house, if you could call it that. It was an old ragged mansion that had long since fallen into disrepair. It was surrounded by an old rusting iron fence with brick columns, ivy was growing up the walls, almost all the windows were broken, shingles had fallen off the roof, the walls were peeling what must have at one point been navy blue, and what was probably once a nice cobbled pathway was now just broken mossy stones covered in snow.

I walked through the busted iron gate and muttered. "Glad I've had my shots." The snow thinned out across the stones and I went from crunching snow to knocking my foot into small stones causing them to skip across the cobbles. A few stone steps lead up to a rotten door which had fallen off the top hinge and gotten stuck in the frame. I stepped back and kicked in the door making a wet creaking noise as it broke off its last hinge. The house smelled of mold and rotting wood. The boards under my feet creaked and groaned with my every step. I came to a staircase with once elaborate banisters that curved in at the end and what had once been a beautiful red carpet, but was now covered in mud, animal prints, and footprints— human ones— were all over the carpet and going up. A hole in the ceiling— that had left a small pile of slush on the floor— illuminated my ascent of the stairs. At the top I walked down a long hallway of doors. All of the doors had long been left open or had simply fallen off their hinges leaving a splintery mess. The rooms were full of old rotted furniture that hadn't fallen apart yet and wet slush let in by the broken windows, which had also left broken glass around the walls. I walked until I came to the last door. It was closed. Unlike the other doors this one hadn't rotted off the hinges and still looked relatively intact, it had a smooth design on the door that curved down to the knob, which was clear diamond-shaped glass. Just as I reached for the knob I heard a noise. It was someone talking. It was a man talking to someone else. I put my ear up to the door and listened. "—safe here. No one is coming here, it's an old abandoned mansion we'll be fine." I leaned back and turned the knob slowly. I pushed and winced as the hinges squeaked as I opened the door a little. On the other side of the door were a group of people sitting in a circle, the man who was talking was wearing a green shirt with the letters c and m emblazoned on it, he was sitting on the right off a man wearing a lab coat and a red jeweled necklace who had on his right a woman with black hair who seemed to be wearing all green and on her right was a hulking man who must have stood thirteen feet tall! It was at that moment that the floor beneath me decided to creak loudly. Everyone in the room stopped talking and turned to the door. "Who's there!?" The man in the lab coat said loudly. I slowly backed away from the door as the man in the lab coat stood up and walked towards the door. I turned into the nearest room and hid around the corner of the doorway. I waited as the man in the lab coat and the man in green rushed past me and sighed, then around the corner of the doorframe came a small orange ball of slime with eyes that flowed across the floor towards me. I yelled and stepped back and slipped on some slush that had been blown in the window. I fell and hit an old rotted wood table which hit me in the head on the way down, then blackness.