Chapter IX

Chapter IX

"Take this," Westley said handing over a small compass. "What is it," Galen asked.

"SCP-2799."

"What?"

"SCP-2799-2, this will help you find who your looking for. It tracks SCPs."

"How did it survive?"

"I had it with me on the other side."

Galen nodded and took the compass, as he opened it he needle turned southeast. "I have my heading. Thank you." Galen walked over to the door and opened it. He turned back to Westley. "I'll make sure that the Foundation comes back for you." Westley nodded and Galen stepped out, closing the door behind him.

Galen radioed the rest of his team and they all met up in front of the house. Galen explained the situation and they donned their assault gear and loaded their weapons. Galen turned to the rest of the team and held up the compass, "let's hunt us some SCPs."

* * *

Bright transferred 079 to a hard drive and put it into a duffel bag I'd found in the closet. "It's best we leave now," he said. "The Foundation will come looking around here eventually and we'll need to be long gone by then. By the way burn that computer, can't let 079 get away." I nodded and helped the others pack bags of food and supplies they'd need. Aé was just sitting on the couch staring at the tv and watching a documentary. Daniel had packed as had 2662 and 999 was just slithering along gargling happily. Bright finished packing his bag and put Blaze and Komus into a smaller container with air holes stabbed into the lid. Bright turned off the tv and walked over to me, "Ben, you've been a godsend. You saved our lives and for that I thank you." 2662 walked up, "yeah man, you've been great, we didn't talk much, but you seem like a cool enough guy."

"Yeah," Daniel confirmed. "You're a great friend and sidekick."

I laughed, "sidekick?"

"Yeah, dude."

Daniel patted me on the shoulder, "you're a good kid Ben, I know we'll meet again."

"I'll see you then."

999 rubbed up against my leg and gargled cutely. Aé also said to me, "you been nice, thanky Ben." She patted my head with a gloved hand. "It's been amazing knowing all of you," I said. "You guys certainly changed my life for the better, I hope one day we'll see each other again." I felt a tear run down my cheek and Bright held out his hand I grabbed it and shook it and he pulled me in and hugged me, "thank you Ben."

My phone dinged and I pulled it out and looked at it. A message said, "Conversation_interesting. Reintroduction. Inevitable." I laughed, 079 had given me his own sort of farewell, I'd never felt sadder than in that moment. My life had changed and it would never be the same, I'd always remember the people that changed everything for me. And I knew that they'd never forget me.

They gathered their things and stepped out of the door, and with a final farewell they left and walked off into the forest. It was over. They were gone. It was weird, people and creatures I barely knew dropped into my life, and changed it for the better. I smiled. "It was fun," I said to no one but myself. Only the wind heard me as it whipped the words away. I stepped back into the house and pulled the door closed.

That's when I heard it. A sound I almost didn't perceive , it barely swept through the crack in the door. A gunshot. I didn't even hear the door slam as I ran towards the woods and into the coming fray. After a minute or two I came to a hill and on the other side I saw several men in SWAT gear holding guns to my friends. One of them even held 999 in a small glass case. One of them, a man it looked like wearing a patch that named him Redford, pulled out a pair of cuffs and moved toward Bright.

My phone buzzed, "assistance_required?" I whispered, "079?" The phone sent another message, "affirmative."

"Can you help?"

"Affirmative. Request?"

"Yes! What do we do?"

"Launch_device."

"What?"

"Device."

"My phone?"

"Affirmative. Now."

I nodded and crawled over the top of the hill, I reared my arm back and threw my phone as close to the men as I could. It landed near the one holding the cuffs named Redford and as he looked down my phone let out an ear-splitting shrieking noise. The men yelled out and even I covered my ears. But, despite it I stood and charged into the man holding 999, knocking him onto the ground. Then I yelled out run as I grabbed 999. Bright turned, "Ben?"

"Run," I yelled again. And we did.