Chapter 4

"It's not like I was trying to get back together with him, you know?"

"Uh-m," I stuttered, blinking as I tried to get the ringing out of my head. "I completely understand."

I didn't.

I never could make sense of half of the bemoaning Advik did when it came to Oliver, but I listened to him anyway because he needed someone to listen to him.

The bar was noisy, and the music coming from the jukebox sucked. I wasn't a good drinker, and Advik was. Meaning that after he had downed down three bottles and was still perfectly fine. I already had a headache and was feeling sleepy after a few glasses of beer. At least I wasn't a talkative drunk. I just went quiet. It would be a disaster if I was a talker and somehow ended up confessing my feelings or some nonsense.

"I try to get over him," Advik said as I tried to keep my eyes open. My eyelids hurt, and my head felt too heavy for my palms to hold up. "I try, I really do," Advik repeated, turning the glass cup that was half empty now.

"I just thought that a good part of getting over someone would be to still be friends with them, you know? I didn't want to cut him out of my life completely," he went on, and I just nodded into my hands. Closing my eyes for a bit before opening them up again. I felt dizzy, and the noise in the bar was only getting worse as the night got darker.

"Are you even listening to me?" Advik asked, laughing and making me open my eyes.

"I am, I am," I insisted, rubbing my eyes as Advik continued to laugh. I managed to get myself to wake up a bit, and when I looked over at Advik he had a grin on his face. He stared at me, and I stared back until my face started to feel hot. Why did he have to look at me like that?

"Why do you deal with me?" Advik asked, making m blink before looking over at him again. His smile was gone, and there was a slight frown playing on his thick brows. His face was flushed red from drinking and his eyes kept moving from my face to the bottle of beer that was sitting in the middle of the round table. "You seem irritated by me talking to you about Ollie all the time, but you still listen to me," he continued, hiccupping as he sat up on his chair.

"Why?"

My face got redder as he expanded on his question. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out, so I just sighed, running a hand through my hair.

"You're my friend?" I said it in such an odd way that it sounded like I was asking in a question.

Advik raised his brow a little higher. "Really? You think so?" he asked, biting his bottom lip before leaning forward. The table was small, so him just leaning a bit was enough to close the gap between us so that our faces were almost touching. "We don't really do anything but talk about Ollie, don't you think?"

Where's he going with this? I wondered, looking down at my hands. Advik leaned away, and soon the sound from the nearby tables filled the void. We didn't say anything to each other for a while, but then Advik made a sound like he was about to throw up.