Chapter Seven

"Mom, why can't you just tell me what happened?"

"I don't want to. Honey, let me go to bed."

"Mom, please."

"I'm going to bed."

"I just want to know my father! What's the crime in that?"

That night, as I lay in Darry's bed, I kept thinking about the picture, and how weird it seemed for Soda to look so much like the other man. Perhaps it was an uncle or another family member that happened to share the same traits as Soda; but somehow, I knew that wasn't quite the case. It couldn't be. But maybe it could...? I tossed and turned all night, trying to piece together the puzzle, but as the sky lightened towards dawn, I just gave up. I wasn't in Tulsa to find out about this mysterious man, anyway. I was here to find out what had happened to my mother.

I finally drifted off into a fitful sleep at about 3:00 in the morning, but almost as soon as I had closed my eyes, it seemed, someone was shaking me awake. I started, opened my eyes, and gazed blearily up at the boy hovering above me.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty. It's time for breakfast," Darry said dryly. 

"I'm up," I mumbled sleepily, pushing him aside as I sat up and stretched my arms up with a yawn. Too late, I realized I was wearing only a scanty tank slip, and that Darry was probably getting an eyeful of my bare shoulders and black bra through the thin material.

"Oh!" I exclaimed. I snatched the bedcovers up to hide my chest and shoulders; Darry's eyebrows were raised, a knowing look in his eye.

"Sorry," he growled. He ducked out of his room and shut the door with a click.

My cheeks burned in embarrassment as I slipped out of bed and walked over to my satchel on the desk chair. I grabbed a short blue skirt and a cotton shirt with pale blue stripes to change into. The skirt was shorter and the shirt tighter than I had expected, but I didn't want to change. I liked the outfit, and besides, it made me look good.

I carefully repacked my pajamas into my satchel and snapped it closed, then opened the door and stepped into the kitchen. All three Curtis brothers were seated at the table and were eating-- was that chocolate cake?

Seeing my confused look, Soda said, "What? Darry makes a mean chocolate cake."

I accepted it and took a seat next to them. Darry had already set a plate loaded with a generous piece of chocolate cake on the table in front of my spot, so I took a small bite of cake. Soda was right: It was heavenly, but for breakfast? I wasn't sure if it was the most nutritious option to start a day.

"So what brings you to Tulsa?" Soda asked me sociably.

I swallowed before replying. "I'm trying to find out about my mom. She was disowned and I want to know why," I explained.

"Where in Tulsa was she from?" Pony questioned.

"The West side."

"Ah." Darry's voice sounded worried.

I looked around at their expressions, which all had varying degrees of concern expressed in the lines etched on their foreheads. "What, is there something wrong with that?" I asked them defensively.

"If you do go over there, you know, to get some answers, just be careful. Don't mention that you stayed with us, they won't like it," Darry warned me as a way of answer.

"Who's 'they'?" 

"The Socs," Darry said darkly.

"They hate hoods like us. They'd beat you up if they knew you had consorted with a couple of no-count Greasers," said Soda angrily. 

"They're the ones who jumped me and Johnny Cade real bad," Ponyboy said. His voice sounded high and scared, and I felt an overwhelming wave of pity and anger.

"So they just hate you because you're different from them?" I repeated incredulously. "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

Soda nodded his head and rolled his eyes. "Tell me about it. You won't find anybody as intolerant as a Soc in this town."

"And a pretty, Soc-looking girl like you, well, they'd just snatch you right up," predicted Darry ominously. I shuddered, suddenly filled with fear and worry, and pushed my plate away from me, my stomach too nervous to eat.

"Aw, come on, guys, you're scaring her." Pony gave me a sympathetic look from across the table.

Soda smiled apologetically. "Sorry, Diana," he said sheepishly. "We just wanted to-- HEY!" he exclaimed suddenly, making everyone, even Darry, jump.

"What on earth is your problem?" Darry sputtered and gave him a glare.

"What if Diana stayed here with us, until she found whatever answers about her mom's past she's looking for?" Soda suggested excitedly.

Darry, to my surprise, actually seemed to be considering it. "I wouldn't want to be any trouble," I interjected hastily. "And besides, wouldn't that put an even larger target on my back?" I pointed out.

He seemed to ignore what I thought had been a rather important point as he said, "You know, that actually makes sense, Soda. If Diana stays here, we can protect her." As I started to protest, he added, "Besides, the damage has already been done. You've already stayed here for a night, and the Socs won't care how long you were with us. The fact is, you've stayed here, you were safe from the Socs here, so you may as well keep on staying here."

"I don't want to be trouble," I said weakly. The thought of staying with Darry and his brothers for who knew how long was exciting but also terrifying at the same time.

"It will be fun!" Sodapop said enthusiastically. "You won't be trouble."

"Darry never lets us have girls over," Ponyboy noted wickedly.

"He must like this one!" Soda guffawed, punching his arm.

Darry rolled his eyes, but I fancied I saw a tinge of pink color his cheeks for a second. "You all be quiet, or I'll change my mind," he warned as the two of them continued to chuckle. I couldn't quite meet his eyes.

"Alright, well, I'd better get to work," Soda said. "Come on, Pony, I'll walk you to school." Ponyboy groaned as he trudged into the living room to grab his backpack.

"What about you, Diana, are you still in school?" Darry asked me.

I shrugged. "I mean, technically I'm supposed to start my senior year, but I kind of quit school to come here."

"You need an education," Darry said immediately, "even if you are only staying here for a little while. You may as well go along with Ponyboy and see if they'll let you register for the semester."

"Are you kidding?" My voice was horrified. "I literally hate school. It's a waste of time! It's not like I'm going to use any of the skills they're teaching me, not when I'm expected to marry right away and have kids immediately. No, school isn't for me." As a little girl, I'd dreamed of doing something great and big with my life, maybe become a psychologist or some fancy doctor like that, but as I grew up I learned that as a woman, I would never be given those opportunities. I wasn't really giving anything up by choosing to leave school; no, the choice had already been unfairly made for me: There was no way for a woman to be a doctor. "I've decided to find my father instead."

"If you're going to sacrifice your future in hopes of finding your past, you would be making the worst decision of your life," Darry growled sternly.

I opened my mouth in shock, realizing that he was right. If I wanted to achieve my dream, I should be working towards it instead of letting myself be held back. "I-I guess," I stuttered. "I guess I'm coming with you to school, then, Pony."

"Great." Ponyboy sounded disgruntled. "You're going to hate it."

On that pessimistic note, Soda led us out the door, to where my future was waiting.