Chapter Sixteen

Once I had finished my homework I poked my head into the kitchen. As I had expected, I found Pony in there, dutifully doing his homework, about a dozen apple cores littering the table around him. His brow was furrowed in concentration as he scribbled in a notebook.

"You're gonna eat yourself out of house and home," I noted dryly, nodding towards the devoured fruit remains.

Ponyboy paused and looked up at me, bewildered, his mouth full of what appeared to be yet another apple. "What do you mean?" he asked around the apple bits. 

"Nevermind," I said, smiling and rolling my eyes. "I'm getting a job, by the way."

Ponyboy almost choked on his apple; bits of juice and chunks flew disgustingly across the kitchen as he reeled. I thumped him hard on the back to help him breathe again, and he looked up at me with incredulity clear on his face. "What? You're getting... a job?"

"Yeah. I need to pull my own weight around here," I explained smoothly. "I can't just expect you to pay for my food and give me a place to stay without providing some kind of compensation."

Pony's mouth snapped shut. "Have you talked to Darry about this?" he asked uncertainly.

"No, but I'm going to get one anyway. At least, I'm going to try." I ruffled his hair, which caused him to duck away sheepishly and swung out the back door. "I'm going down to the DX. I'll be back in a bit," I told him. He didn't respond and instead just stared after me as I hopped outside.

My plan was simple in theory, but it would be tricky to accomplish. There was a multitude of things that could go wrong, and I spent my walk down to the DX trying not to think about them, instead working on perfecting my plan. My idea was to get hired at a housecleaning company, one that serviced the nicer side of town. Then, I would be able to surreptitiously take a look around the houses in search of any information about my mother while also making some money to repay the Curtises. I did feel bad about staying with them and not paying them rent, so I decided that a job was needed. And what better way to poke around my mother's old society than becoming a housecleaning lady?

Steve was behind the counter when I reached the DX, and he looked up at me and smiled brightly as I walked in, the bell above the door tingling merrily. I gave him a quick smile and before he could say anything asked, "Do you have a phone book, by any chance?"

He looked dumbfounded and slightly put out for a second before nodding. "Yeah, there's one by the pay phone in the back. Why?"

"Do you have any spare change? I need to make a few calls," I explained as well as I could.

Steve nodded and stuck a hand into the pocket of his jeans, wiping his palm clean of gasoline before handing a few quarters over to me. "Here you go," he said amicably. "Who're you calling?"

"Someone," I said secretively as I turned to look for the pay phone. I spotted it on the back wall by the restrooms, partially hidden by a kiosk that was heavily stocked in this month's Playboy magazine. I turned my back on him and moved towards it, feeling his eyes burn into my back as I went. I picked up the old metal phone with a click and scooped up the ratty old phone book with my other hand. As I dialed the operator, I flipped through it until I found what I was looking for: McNamara's Housecleaning Services, with an address near downtown. It was perfect.

"Hi, I need to reach, um, McNamara's Housecleaning Services?" I said when the operator picked up.

"Of course," she said amicably. "I'll connect you right now."

As I stood there waiting for her to transfer the call, I noticed Steve was still watching me with a puzzled look on his face. "What're you doing?" he mouthed.

"Nothing," I whispered back, as someone on the other end picked up.

"Hello, this is McNamara Housecleaning Services, how can I help you?" a nasally voice snivelled across the line.

"Um, hi, my name is Diana Jean, and I'm interested in applying for a job," I said slowly, my nerves racing. "That is, if you have any open currently."

"Yeah, yeah, we always do. The turnover rate is incredible. For some reason, I don't know why," she added hurridley. "I'll make an appointment for you with Holly McNamara, she's the boss. She'll decide whether to hire you or not. But lemme tell ya-" I heard her lean towards the phone and whisper. "Unless you're a complete weirdo, you've already got the job."

"Okay, thank you," I said, relieved. So far my plan was working out perfectly!

"Alright, I'll schedule an interview for tomorrow at 4:30. Does that sound good?" she said. 

"Yes, that sounds perfect. Thank you so much!" I thanked her gratefully and hung up.

"Are you gonna tell me what's going on now?" Steve's voice rang out from behind the counter.

"I'm getting a job!" I skipped over to the counter and hopped up on it, swinging my legs. "Isn't that something?"

"Isn't that something?" He looked at me as if I was insane. "Why on earth do you want a job like that? Housecleaning? A girl with your smarts could go to college!"

"Oh, it's only for a little while. It's not like a career, or anything," I assured him.

He gave my shoulder a playful punch. "Sounds like you're planning on being in Tulsa for a while, huh?" His tone was suddenly more shy.

I didn't mistake the tone. Was he flirting with me? "Yeah, looks like it," I agreed, glancing away, embarrassed. He didn't respond, and there was an awkward silence for a moment before the back door swung open and Soda breezed in.

"Hey, Steve! Hey, Diana! I'm here for my shift," he said easily. 

"This slip of a girl got herself a job," Steve said, his friendly tone restored, and he gave my shoulder a gentle shove.

"Did you now?" Soda glanced at me, his eyebrows raised in surprise. "Where at?"

"McNamara's Housecleaning Services," I said importantly. "It's downtown."

"Downtown?" Both of the boys glanced at each other with worried looks on their faces, and my stomach rolled over in nervousness.

"Is that a problem?"

"That's Soc territory," Soda said in a low voice. "You better be careful. Don't go down there by yourself, okay? And don't tell Darry. He'll have an aneurysm."

I frowned. "Why doesn't he take me, then? I'll be safe enough with him."

Soda's eyebrows were raised so far up on his forehead I was afraid they'd disappear into his hair, and Steve scowled at his shoes. "Yeah... maybe ask him, then," he said craftily.

I crossed my arms. "Yeah, maybe I will, huh," I said defiantly as I stared him right in the eye.

Steve loudly cleared his throat and said, "If he won't, then I'll take you, Diana," he said, his voice a little too loud for the small convenience store. Soda rolled his eyes.

"Okay, lover boy, cool your pants down. Why don't you get on home then, Diana, Pony can't be trusted to not burn the house down when he's by himself," he explained jovially.

I laughed. "Alright. See you around, Steve."

I hopped off the counter and waved to them as I walked out of the DX, the bell tinkling in my wake. So far my grand plan was off to a great start!