Chapter 18 - The resentment

Grace's POV

I was making funny faces at Nathan while he was giggling. My sweet little boy. I hugged him and kissed his chubby cheek.

Suddenly, the doorbell hummed. It must be Ruby. She called me a few minutes ago and told me that maybe she would pop in my apartment today.

"Aunt Ruby is here. Let's open the door." I cooed Nathan as I stood up and took him in my arms. He babbled and gripped my hair.

I opened the door and said cheerfully. "Welcome, Aunt Ru..." My eyes widened in shock as I saw Ethan in front of me. "...Ethan..." I murmured barely.

He wasn't looking at me; he fixed his gaze on Nathan who released the lock of my hair and extended his arm towards Ethan, babbling. Meanwhile, Ethan was staring at him, stunned.

 Meanwhile, Ethan was staring at him, stunned

"....What have you done, Grace?!" He gasped without taking his eyes off Nathan. "Why haven't you told me?" He snapped angrily as he plunged his piercing eyes into mine. Nathan started crying.

"Shh. It is okay, my boy." I cooed Nathan, stroking his back as I tried to soothe him.

"Let's talk inside." I suggested and allowed Ethan in.

We went to the living room. He sat down on the couch and entwined his hands tightly, making his knuckles get white, his muscles tense. He was staring at Nathan and me while I was rocking Nathan gently.

As Nathan stopped crying, I placed him on the couch beside me and gave him his toy.

"What is his name?" Ethan asked, looking at our son, a mixture of emotions in his eyes.

"Nathan." I replied, stroking Nathan's hand.

"Nathan." He repeated. "How old is he?" He asked without taking his eyes off Nathan.

"He will be six months old in two weeks." I responded as I pulled the toy out of Nathan's mouth, smiling.

"Why? Why haven't you told me that you were pregnant?" Ethan asked and looked at me as sadness clouded his features.

"I had to." I mumbled, looking away.

He gave me a mocking laugh. "You had to." He repeated sarcastically and gritted his teeth, trying to control his anger. "OK, maybe my love wasn't enough for you....and you didn't love me anymore. But he is my son too. I had a right to know about him." He stated, full of resentment and sadness in his eyes.

"Ethan...." I murmured sadly. Seeing him in this state made my heart sink. "Believe me, I didn't want to, but...."

"Bullshit!" He snapped as he stood up. He ran his hand through his hair angrily, closing his eyes and took a deep breath, trying to control himself.