XX.

Nathan held her until his arms grew numb and the ache in his heart started to lessen.

"I thought I didn't need anyone," He murmured softly against her ear before he released her. "That I was too good to need a muse but, apparently, I was mistaken. I couldn't concentrate, the plot made no sense, my mind refused to cooperate, my fingers disappointed me, I didn't know what was wrong. I understand that you need an answer, an excuse, something half believable and convincing but I can't give it to you, I don't have one. I just know that once I started writing about you everything made sense, everything felt right. My demons fell silent for once." Her grip on the manuscript tightened. It took all she had to release it and leave it on her coffee table before it got torn and all was in vain.

"Goddamn it I turned into my father." There was no emotion dominating his voice. Not anger, not sadness, not joy. They all coexisted perfectly in his raspy voice but not a single one dared to stand out. "He used to do this all the time, use my mother and me for inspiration. Maybe that's part of the reason? I'm not making excuses I'm simply trying to understand this myself."

Just stop talking, she begged silently, the thoughts never being converted into sounds, stop talking and make this easy. Let me let you go.

Regardless, speaking those words would make no difference.

He would never have complied to such a request. Not when he was laying his heart at her feet, allowing her to do with it as she pleased.

"You could have told me." She muttered instead, feeling like her body and heart were betraying her.

"I don't think I would have told you, even if I was given a second chance. I know how you'd react, I know how opposite you'd be. God, Gwen I'd tell you that I am sorry if it was true but it's not and I do not wish to lie to you."

"If you knew these things then, then why. . . Why did you do it?"

Pain bled into his smile. He'd never been more handsome. He'd never been more vile. "Because you don't deserve to hide in the dark." He told her in a cryptic tone. It was cruel of him to say that. It was very cruel to gift her with something so pure as this confession only to have it taken away from her when her nightmares returned. They would return, that much was certain, they'd hunt her down and strip her off her grace, leave her bleeding in the ruins of what used to be her safe haven. The sad part is that he didn't even know the damage he was causing.

She knew it made no sense but his words tasted sweet on her lips yet turned bitter as they descendent down her throat.

If Nathan was the modern Atlas, the Titan forced to bear the weight of the world on his shoulders, then she was Pandora, the creature that indirectly created Eve, the one who opened the box and sold herself before she sold the world.

No matter what, Pandora would always be a pawn in the game Zeus created, a game she was not even aware she was part of. Her whole existence was a punishment.

Nathaniel, unaware of her internal battle, raised a finger and started tracing her freckled cheeks, connecting the dots and creating constellations. "You deserve to feel the Sun caress your skin."

Soon after that, he walked out of the door leaving her with a heavy heart and a stack of papers.