Gandikota

As the sun rose, it spread it's long rays over the Penna meandering lazily through the magnificient gorge,  flanked by cliffs and rocks on either side. Cliffs loomed high on both sides of the river, with sharp drops and steep ascents. The hills jostled for space, looming over each other, to have a better look at the serenity of the Penna, as she flowed quitely into the distance. And on a ledge overlooking the gorge, stood the fort majestically surveying the land ahead.

Gandikota

 A name that had become a byword for bravery and courage. 

There were many a brave warrior that had served Vijayanagara Empire, and then there was Gandikota. The very mention of the name, would cause heads to bow in respect, and a feeling of awe in the eyes. 

The fort was believed to have been built around in 1123 by Kapa Raja, a subordinate of the Western Chalukyan ruler of Kalyani, Someswara I.  For quite a long time, it was a minor sand fort of not much significance. One dynasty made it into one of the most formidable forts, the Pemmasani Nayakas. Musunuri Kapaya Nayaka, a former warrior of the Kakatiya empire, who ha led an alliance of smaller Telugu chieftains, to liberate the state from the Delhi Sultanate, was murdered in 1368 by the treacherous Recharla Nayakas, who had allied with the Bahmani Sultans, in their lust for power. Most of Kapaya Nayakas faithful followers migrated to the Vijayanagara Empire, swearing allegiance to Bukka Raya, for the protection of Sanathana Dharma in the Deccan, against the twin onslaught of the Delhi Sultanate and the Bahmani Sultans. Having fought under Musunuri for the cause of Dharma against the Sultanate, and then seen his murder by treacherous fellow Hindus, made them more determined to resist the invasions of the Muslim forces.

One of the clans, that pledged it's allegiance to Vijayanagara, was the Pemmasani Nayakas, the most formidable of them all. Founded by Pemmasani Thimma Nayudu, a commander in the Vijayanagara Army, under Prouda Devaraya, he had shown his prowess in the battle of Gulbarga against the Bahmani ruler Ahmed Shah.  That victory pleased Devaraya enough to grant him Yadanki paragana in 1422, as an appreciation for the service rendered.  And 1240 kuntas in Hampi, that served as a camp for the Pemmasani Nayakas and their vast army.

And a formidable army it was, with 25,000 infantry, 15,000 horsemen and 40 elephants, and during the Battle of Gulbarga against Ahmed Shah, the largest contingent was under Thimma Nayudu, with around 80,000 soldiers. Thimma Naidu converted Gandikota into an impregnable fort, overlooking the gorge, and ruled over one of the largest feudatories that included another fort of Gutthi,  Tadipatri, and Bellamkonda, Amaravathi regions in Coastal Andhra.  Thimma Naidu's  daring assaults against Ahmed Shah,  ensured that the Pemmasanis would have pride of place as the sword arm of the Vijayanagara Empire, invariably commanding the Army during their military campaigns.

But above all, it was one oath, they had taken, that  founded the very basis of their dynasty.

"Hampi shall never fall, even if we have to give our lives for it"

In an empire where brother plotted against brother, nobles sided with rival groups, small time chieftains allied with the Bahmanis for their own selfish reasons, the Pemmasani Nayakas stood out not just for their prowess on the battlefield, but also for their undying loyalty to Hampi. 

Not one Vijayanagara ruler could even cast aspersions on their loyalty. Such loyalty could have come from their battles to protect Dharma under Musunuri Kapa Nayaka and later his death at the hands of the treacherous Recharla Nayakas. 

Ramalinga Nayaka, stood on the rocky ledge, looking at the Penna snaking it's way lazily through the gorge, the early rays of the sun, giving it a golden hue. Coming off one of the toughest battles of his life at Raichur, he stood in solitude, with nature, the silence around enveloping him in a cloak of peace.