Lovers Meet

He was sitting on a rock in the stream, when she came up to him and held his hand. And this time, it was more firm than ever. As he was about to speak, she motioned him to be silent.

"Do not say or ask anything, just come with me"

And she led him along the stream, as they waded through, walked up the hilly trails, each steeper than other. They walked across a large rocky expanse, surrounded all around by hills, as the trees began to tower over them, with birds of all color and hue, and brightly colored butterflies darting about. He could hear the roar of the waterfall, in the distance, as they approached it. 

Just near to the waterfall,she veered off a narrow trail, with thick bushes on either side, holding his hand even more firmly. He could actually feel the love, coursing through, as his heart beat, his pulse quickening.  And as they turned the bend, the mouth of a dark cave, opened up, hidden by thick creepers and bushes all over it. 

As they entered the cave, she stopped within a few metres, just enough for the light to shine on them.  Bats hung on the roof, upside down, like ghostly apparitions, while a few darted about here and there. Silence enveloped the darkness of the cave, interruped only by the sound of water dripping. For what seemed an eternity, no words were spoken, as neither seemed sure of what to say, until she spoke.

"This cave is known only to me, my secret getaway, which even my father has no knowledge of. I come here, whenever I need to spend time in solitude or miss my mother."

"This is my own private world,  which none has even entered so far.  You are the first man to ever have entered in my own world. I cannot say more"

Ramalinga was at a loss of words for what to say, so far no lady had ever even looked him in the eye, forget about speaking to him. 

"Do you even know who I am? Do you know that I am not even what you think I am?"

" I do not know nor care, all I know is that you are the first man for whom I had ever had a feeling deep in my heart. There are many who are strong and brave, but few are blessed with empathy and wisdom. I had seen that when you stood up for those unfortunate men"

"I am not a poor peasant Narasimha, as you all believe to be. I am Ramalinga Nayaka, of the Pemmasani clan of Gandikota, the son of Timma Nayaka, whom your father knew."

"I am a fugitive on the run for the murder of my father. I have been falsely accused, but yet the world believes I am a criminal. For the past couple of months, I have been on the run, hiding, escaping from both the Bahmani and Vijayanagara soldiers. The Raya believes I am guilty, and I live with the fear of death knocking my door any moment"

"Would you really want to lead the rest of your life, with a man who is a condemned criminal, who does not even know if he could wake up the next morning alive or not? You are a young girl with beautiful dreams of life. With me, all you would get is only fear, worry and pain "

Silence engulfed the cave, again as Chenchi staggered back, in shock at what she heard. She felt her world dissolving before her, as the reality hit her straight in the face. She had heard growing up was often painful, and it was even more so now. She gathered her breath, as the conflict between her heart and mind grew even more. 

"I would never have given myself to a warrior, but you are no mere warrior. You also know how to give a life to someone, instead of just taking. Very few are blessed with both the strength and wisdom."

"You could have hid the truth from me, and taken advantage of the fact that a girl offers herself to you. And yet you were honest enought to reveal all to me, even knowing I could have walked away from you".

"I had bought you in my world, and now when I see your honesty,  I knew my decision was right. For I know, that you shall never abandon me, that you shall be by my side,come what may, that you shall stand for me always."