The Trial

As the prisoner was ushered in, clad in tattered robes, and bound with chains, a wave of gasps, murmurs went around the assembly of nobles, ministers, poets, scholars in the court.  For this was no ordinary convict, the man in chains, was Ramalinga Nayaka, the commander of the Vijayanagara Army.

The audience looked on in stunned disbelief, at the man, who just a couple of months ago, had entered the same court, in a blaze of glory, with triumphant cries hailing his victory at Raichur. The man who had entered in regal style, with the tunic weaved out of the finest silk, and a gittering turban adorning his head, was now in tattered robes.  

The hands that proudly clasped the sword, were bound in chains, the legs that once strode across with a regal disdain, were chained in fetters. The handsome face that generated radiance, was now gaunt, and shrunk, covered with a thick straggly beard. The piercing eyes, that once struck terror in the hearts of enemies, had a look of resignation about them. 

The victor who had ridden into Hampi in a blaze of glory once, had now been led along it's streets, tied to a pole on a wooden cart, jeered at, pelted at with stones.  

The court that once echoed with the verses of the poets, scholars was now in throes of a deathly silence. The court where once beautiful dancers enthralled the audience to their graceful moves and lilting music, was now bereft of it's radiance. The nobles sat with their heads bowed,not really knowing what to say, while some murmured among themselves.

A sudden hush overcame the court, as the Raya walked in, still resplendent in his bright multi colored bejewlled turban, his green and gold tunic, his spotless white dhoti. But there were not the usual sounds that hailed him, nor the pomp and splendour, as he ascended the steps leading to his throne. On another throne, close to him sat Appaji, in a solemn mood, frowns on his forehead, clutching the staff. The normally ebullient Tenali Ramakrishna, who would regale the court, with his wit, was silent, grim, his head bent down.

Much as he tried to hide it, the grief, pain and anger in the Raya's face were very much visible, at the perceived betrayal of the man whom he had trusted more than any one. He was at a loss of words, he was not himself ever since he heard abou the events at Gandikota, an ally he had always counted on even in the worst of times. Was this even for real?

Regaining his composure, he began in a rather slow and measured voice

"Today is the most painful day of my life, the man I trusted the most, to the extent of making him the commander of our mighty army, has stabbed me right in the back. The ally on whom Vijayanagara could always rely upon, has gone rogue and joined hands with the enemy. And yet as someone who always believed in a fair trial, I shall still give an opportunity to Ramalinga Nayaka to explain himself.  For I do not desire that Hampi should meet the same fate as Madurai, when the execution of an innocent Kovalan, caused it to burn to ashes, by the wrath of Kannagi".

"Appaji, as the Prime Minister, I now request you to go ahead with the trial, and I shall expect you to discharge your duties with all the fairness and honesty"

Appaji nodded, even as the pain gnawed away at his insides, deep within he knew Ramalinga could never commit a crime, yet the law never listened to conscience and emotion, it only went by the hard proof and reason. He had mediated in many a dispute, delivered many a judgement, but on this day, he would have had to deliver the most painful verdict ever in his life.

"Ramalinga Nayaka, the court finds you  tguilty of conspiring to murder, treason against Vijayanagara and collaboration with the enemy forces.  What do you have to say in your defense?"

Ramalinga stared back defiantly, the fight had still not gone out of his eyes.

"I have served Vijayanagara all these years with utmost loyalty, taking blow upon blow on my chest in every campaign I had fought. My conscience is clear, I have committed no crime. And if found guilty hang me"

"Law does not go by conscience or emotional appeals Ramalinga, it goes by proof and evidence.Do you have a single piece of evidence to prove your innocence?"

Ramalinga bowed his head in despair, all the evidence seemed to point to his guilt, as he heard Appaji call out,the first witness,the guard of the royal chamber,where he met his father last.

"You were present when Ramalinga Nayaka, had met the king, before leaving for Hampi, tell us what happened with no fear"

The guard was tentative, fidgeting nervously, as he spoke

"That day when Ramalinga Nayaka met the king, I could not hear clearly,but I could clearly make out, there was some kind of heated argument going on, loud words were heard, and after sometime, I saw him stepping out of the chamber in a rage, walking furiously"

The next witness was the guard at the gates.

"I was on my normal duty, when I saw this rather suspicious looking Muslim man, who claimed to be a carpet seller,seeking entry into the fort. When I tried to prevent his entry,he produced a document claiming to have permission affixed with the royal seal"

The next witness was the official scribe at Gandikota,who spoke nervously, his hands shaking.

"Ramalinga Nayaka, approached me to write the message inviting Abu Hassan to come over and carry out the action.He even handed me a bag of gold coins to keep silent. I am just an ordinary official, I could not afford to disobey the orders from the top"

And finally Sadashiva Nayaka 

"The royal chambers at Gandikota, are fully guarded all the time, each guard is assigned a given position, and the king's chamber is secured with the strongest of the guards, who could overpower any intruder within moments. The fact that the assassin, could sneak in at the middle of night, without any resistance, speaks of a top level collusion, with the security, that could only have been authorized by Ramalinga Nayaka. And he conveniently undertook a trip to Hampi to evade suspicion"

Every testimony, every word, felt like a nail being hammered into the heart of Ramalinga Nayaka,  he had no evidence,to the contrary.  It was a well planned conspiracy, in which he was fully trapped from all ends. He who had fought the toughest battles ever, defeated the most formidable warriors on the battle field, had been trapped by the enemies within. 

"Ramalinga Nayaka, you have sullied the fair name of the Pemmasani clan of Gandikota, by collaborating with the enemy forces for your own selfish purposes. On charges of collaborating with the enemy, treason, abetment to murder, you shall be imprisoned at the fort of Penukonda, treated like any common convict, and shall be executed on the first day of the coming month"