Rani Tirumalamba

She rested on her couch, covered with soft downs, it's handles encrusted with pearls and rubies, supported by four Yalis, carved into the gold plated legs, deep in thought. Around her the curtains made of the finest muslin, weaved in Masula, moved to and forth, as bare bodied men, sat behind, pulling the strings. On the top of the ceiling, the chandeliers gifted by the Portuguese governor of Goa, shone brightly, casting their effluence all around the room. Two women stood by her side,  fanning her with long feathers of ostrich, held together in a silver rod,dressed in simple robes of blouse, and a long skirt, with a robe thrown over the top. As another woman, sat at her feet gently pressing them.

She was no ordinary woman, she was the most senior consort of Krishnadeva Raya, and the chief queen of Vijayanagara Empire.  

Rani  Tirumalamba,  the daughter of King Veerapodeya and Rani Varsha Devi of Srirangapatnam,  who had come to the house of Tuluvas in 1498, as a young bride. As she settled in the royal household,it was apparent to her,that while by virtue of pedigree and rank, she held the higher position, the heart of the Raya was for his younger queen Chinamma Devi.  During his younger days, the Raya in the course of his wanderings, had been captivated by Chinamma, who was then a temple dancer and desired to marry her.  Apart from the grace in her dance, he had been equally impressed by her self respecting, independent nature, and that she was equally adept at wielding the sword too.

However considering that Chinamma was not of a royal pedigree, the Raya could not marry her, as per the established tradition. It was then Appaji had suggested a way out, by which the Raya would first marry Tirumalamba, and soon after he could marry the woman he loved. 

Tirumalamba however bore no ill will, she had reconciled to her destiny, and warmly welcomed Chinamma Devi as a younger sister into the palace. Nor did she bemoan what happened to her, as she took charge of her own life.  Gifted with the art of poetry, as well as playing the veena, she immersed herself in writing and music. She held court with the visting musicians, poets, scholars in her chambers.  As the senior queen, she played an important role in running the affairs of the kingdom, advising the Raya on important matters, and quite often travelling along with him in his campaigns.  She regularly ventured out and met the common  people, inquiring about their welfare and undertaking welfare works for their need.

The events of the past few weeks had left her worried, chidless for a long time,she was deeply attached to Pemmasani Ramalinga Nayaka, whom she considered her own son.  Ramalinga on the other hand, saw in her the mother he never had in all his childhood, and every time he visited Hampi, he made it a point to see her.  She in turn would feed him with the choicest of dishes,  talk with him for hours together, on the affairs of the Empire, while he in turn would be regaled by her beautiful poetry. 

She could never believe that he would be guilty of such a dastardly crime, and his arrest was not something she could not accept. She had spent sleepless nights thinking about him,  such a man of character and integrity could never do wrong. And yet no one seemed to listen to her, the Raya who of late had increasingly come under the influence of his new queen, Annapurna Devi from Kalinga, and her brother Veerabhadra Gajapati, had been led into believing that Ramalinga was indeed guilty.  Her voice had become a lone one in the wilderness.

"Maharani, they are here to see you"- a young maid, in her teens, dressed in simple robes, bowing to her, disturbing her reverie.

Beckoning them to sit in the front chamber, she rose from the couch and walked towards them. There was a radiance and dignity in her face, that seemed to emanate from within. Draped in a shining saree, printed with the most exquisite Kalamkari designs of Sri Kalahasti, the long robe, covering her head, on end draped over her arm. Precious chains adorned her neck, while the nose ring glittered bright, as he treaded on the soft carpeting with a graceful gait.

As she stepped into the front chamber, she saw the three of them,  Appaji his face wizened by age, the turban straddling his head, a shawl and robe, draped over his upper torso, the folds of his dhoti neatly tucked in, holding his staff. 

On another chair, sat Allasani Peddana, the senior most of the Ashta Diggajas, the favorite poet of the Raya. A poet whom he held so much in reverence, that the Raya himself had adorned his ankle with the ganda penderam.  His hair neatly tied into a tuft, his upper part covered with a cotton robe, and a spotted shawl draped across. 

And on another with his head bearing a large turban, the vibhuti marks across his forehead, with a rather rotund face, and stocky build, sat Tenali Ramakrishna.  The court jester whose wit enthralled every one in the court, and was one of the Raya's closest confidantes.

The three men rose in reverence to the Rani, folding their hands,  as they looked at her, there was a diginity and stature around her, that could make any one bow their heads in respect.  She in turn had great regards for the three men, Appaji, was the father figure to her in the royal household, to whom she turned often for advice.  Allasani Peddana, whose poetry had enthralled many an evening, and what to say of Ramakrishna, his wit could bring  a smile on her face at any moment.

The mood however was sombre, reflecting the events of the past few months

"What news do you bring Appaji ?"

"They are convinced about his guilt, and are considering executing him in a couple of days"

The blood drained from Tirumalamba's face, her eyes welling up with tears, as she gripped the sides of her chair.

"The blood of an innocent man spilt on earth, has proved to be the nemesis of many a king or kingdom.  It was the curse of Kannagi, that had burnt Madurai to ashes. I fear Hampi shall befell a certain fate, if the executioner's axe falls on Ramalinga.  We cannot let it happen Appaji. I have already lost the son born to me, and my heart is not strong enough to take the loss of another whom I consider my son."

"You are the only one, whom I can confide in and trust with Appaji, as my pleas have become a voice in the wilderness"

"Rest assured Tirumalamba, as long as Appaji is alive, he shall not sit and watch helplessly.  Ramalinga Nayaka is as much a son to me, and I shall ensure that no executioner's axe can even touch him".

"You are taking a big risk, if the Raya knows, he would not leave you", as Allasani spoke.

"Mighty as an emperor Krishna is, mightier is the force of Dharma. I am anyway in the last stage of the journey of my life, if I have to leave this world, let it be in the secure knowledge that I stood for justice and Dharma".

"We are undertaking one of the riskiest missions ever, going against the Raya himself.  And we have to be steadfast to it, we might even lose our lives for defiance. Think deeply about it, but once you step on to this path, there is no returning back."

"I owe my life, my privileges,my fortune to the Raya, who has bestowed every blessing on me. But when faced with a moral crisis, we must take the path of righteousness, even if that means going against the very man, to whom you owe your life to. Else there would be no meaning to what I preach"- replied Allasani Peddana.

"I had come to Hampi as a poor Brahman from Tenali, with my family. You had sheltered me Appaji, gave refuge to my wife and son. And it was due to you, that me a mere jester, could find place among the privileged Ashta Diggajas, as well as being a member of the Raya's inner circle. The Raya has bestowed riches and privileges on me, but it was you Appaji, who had guided me and molded my values. If you have thought something, there would be a deeper meaning to it".

"We do not have much time, what are your planning Appaji" asked Tirumalamba.