A man so noble

"Raya, you know very well, that Gandikota has always been at the vanguard in the protection of Vijayanagara as well the expansion.  Every battle that has been fought under your reign- Udayagiri,  Kondavidu, Kondapalli, Adoni and Raichur, the people of Gandikota have been at the forefront,  raising the sword against the enemy.  We have been bound by the oath to protect Vijayanagara at any cost, even if that means we have to offer our lives. "

The Raya nodded his head, deep in silence and gratitude.

"But the cost we have paid to uphold this oath, has been terrible, Raya.  There has not been a household in Gandikota, that has not lost a male in the battlefield. There has been scarcely a woman who has not been widowed.  Every mother has lost a son, every son has lost a father. Most of the families have become destitute, and we have been feeding them at our temples. "

The Raya's visage was now furrowed.

"Raya, I do not seek anything for myself, I came here for my people. We do not seek riches either, all I seek is some kind of monetary support to those families, who have lost the only male earner in their home, in the battles.  And a small piece of land for them to till and make a living. Or any employment to the sons of those soldiers killed in the battles.  If today Vijayanagara stands tall and mighty, it is due to the sacrifices of those men, I am not seeking charity, Raya, all I seek is support for my people to lead a dignified life".

"And where will that money come from?  Do you want our treasury to be emptied just to support some low lives"- a haughty voice boomed out in the court.  It was that of Veerabhadra Gajapati, the brother of Raya's third wife Annapurna Devi, the Gajapati princess. 

Ramalinga detested Veerabhadra, there was something very slimy about the man. Arrogant, haughty, he used his personal proximity to the Raya, to flaunt his authority.  Commoners cursed him because of his haughty ways, where he would often ride roughshod over them or beat them up in anger.  And of late, it was rumored, that Veerabhadra was the cause of an ever widening rift between the Raya and Appaji.  The Raya who was otherwise harsh on offenders, was strangely lenient with Veerabhadra, maybe due to the fact that he was the brother of the queen, he loved the most, Annapurna.

Holding his anger, Ramalinga once again spoke-" Those low lives you speak of are the reason, why our empire still stands, inspite of the repeated onslaughts of the Bahmani Sultans, Veerabhadra.  The least we can do is not to insult their sacrifice".

"Ha, sacrifice, what else can those low born lives do?  Filthy men, with their dark smelly skins, with their coarse manners, the only thing they are fit for is fighting our wars. Men with no intelligence, who blindly follow orders, and die of their stupidity.  And you give it a great name, sacrifice, Ha"- sneered Veerabhadra, even more haughtily. The court was aghast at this wanton display of arrogance and insensitivity.

"Veerabhadra Gajapati, if you had not been the Raya's brother in law and brother of his queen Annapurna, I would have cut you down, right now, for your insolence and arrogance. How dare you insult those men who have given their everything for our empire?  What have you done, other than enjoying the luxuries at the court, Veerabhadra, that you comment on men, whose sacrifice is unparalleled?"-  Ramalinga's eyes blazed red with anger, as he pulled out his sword.  Tension was fraught in the court.

Realizing the ugliness of the situation, which was getting out of hand, the Raya intervened

"Veerabhadra, enough, I will not have you talk like that on the people who have given their lives for the empire.  You are an outsider here, and shall always be. So far I have tolerated your wanton, indisciplined, haughty ways, just because you happen to be the brother of my queen. But today you have crossed the line Veerabhadra, and only being the brother of my queen, has saved your neck from being chopped by the executioner's axe. "- The booming sound of the Raya's voice, was enough to make Veerabhadra silent, as he bowed. But Ramalinga could catch a glimpse of the naked hatred in his eyes, always be careful of this snake.

"Pemmasani Ramalinga Nayaka, you have always been a great warrior, but today you have showed that you are an equally great human being too. Where a lesser soul would have taken the riches and territory offered, you have rejected them for your people. I would be doing injustice to you, if I do not heed your request. So shall it be.  I shall talk with the officials and see how best we could support your people.  Gandikota has always given it's everything for the Empire, and we shall ever be grateful to it".

Once again the court reverberated with the cries of "Victory to Krishna Deva Raya", "Victorto Rama Linga Nayaka".  But Ramalinga's eyes were fixed on Veerabhadra Gajapati, whose face was twisted into a malevolent grin. There was pure naked hatred in his eyes, as he smouldered in rage,  helpless in front of the Raya.  There was something amiss, was this man plotting something terrible?