029

— 🐻 —

— 🐻 —

29. STAR

THE SKY WAS slowly darkening from a pale blue to the prussian shade that made it seem like the heavens had been stained with dark ink. jungkook looked up, a small smile on his face. it seemed like the stars were going to be out tonight.

lia stared at the side of his face as they walked, noting the soft hint of fascination he held. she regarded him for a moment, quickly glancing away when he straightened. "you really like stars, don't you?" she remarked after a moment.

his gaze shifted to her and he beamed, nodding his head in affirmation. "i do. especially when they're in constellations." he glanced up once more. "is that why you're an astronomy major?" she queried. his lips curved up. "yes."

"why do you like them?" she tilted her head. "doesn't everyone?" his brows moved higher. "well, yeah. i mean, why do you like them so much?" she altered her question. he sucked in a breath, clasping his hands behind his back. "hmm, every star you see in the night sky is way bigger and brighter than the sun. they burn the brightest just before they die."

"you're just stating star facts." she narrowed her eyes at him. "no 'i think stars are what beautiful souls become after they die'?"

he chuckled softly, eyes crinkling with mirth at her comment. "they fascinate me. i find everything about them incredibly interesting. when i was little, i used to go stargazing with my father. and for the short while he stayed with us, my cousin."

she pressed her lips together. "i see." she mumbled softly. suddenly, he wrapped his hand around hers. "we should hurry and get you home." she glanced down at their intertwined hands and smiled, bobbing her head.

as soon as they were at the front door to her home, jungkook grinned, recalling his first time there. he wondered what the door would open to reveal this time. lia slipped the key in the lock, twisting it slowly. he reluctantly let go of her hand when she pushed down on the doorhandle.

as expected, the door opened to a dramatic scene. gillian was attempting to imitate valeria who was doing the splits and stretching, sliding her legs apart slowly and trying to get them to do what her big sister's were. lia instantly sighed, her eyes shutting briefly. jungkook couldn't stop the smile on his face.

"ah, gabriel! i'm not a tree, c'mon! won't you let go?" darryl groaned as he appeared from the kitchen, his little brother attached to his hip like a koala bear. "mm-mm!" the younger boy shook his head. "for the love of–" darryl's remark of frustration cut short when he caught sight of the two new persons in the hall.

his eyes narrowed and he pointed at jungkook whose eyes instantly widened. "you," he started threateningly. "didn't i tell you not to come back here?" he glared dangerously. his question drew everyone's attention.

"kookie!" the twins chorused. gillian gave up copying her older sister's movement and ran towards jungkook. and gabriel slid down his brother's leg to waddle over to his new friend. jungkook patted their backs when they wrapped their arms around each of his legs. "hey, cuties!"

valeria straightened and smiled shyly at him. "hi," she waved. "hi," his smile was warm. "why did you bring him here again? it's not raining, is it?" darryl fixed his stern gaze on his sister. rolling her eyes, lia let out a breath of exasperation. "don't you have other people to annoy?"

"hey! which one of you ate my granola bar?!" charlie's voice could be heard from the dining room. "i was gone less than five minutes. seriously, i can't trust any of you." she appeared, holding an empty wrapper. "darryl, you're the resident food thief, was it you?"

"i was too busy fighting off a human koala to eat your damn granola bar." he grunted. "it was me, charlie." gillian peeked at her sister from behind jungkook's leg. charlie's brows moved up in surprise when she noticed their guest. "it's okay, gill, since you told me the truth." she gave her little sister a warm smile.

"hey, jungkook. you haven't been here for what? twenty chapters?" her gaze shifted to the boy, earning her a jab from valeria. a small frown of confusion marred his face. "uh, yeah, i haven't been here in a while. it's nice to see you again, charlie." she seemed amused as she looked at him. "nice to see you too."

"mum and dad aren't back yet?" lia changed the subject swiftly. "date night is escape night, remember?" valeria stated. "no children, no screaming, no problems." darryl chanted with a roll of his eyes.

"they probably won't be back till around eleven." valeria continued. "nah, i say midnight." charlie shook her head. "half past midnight." darryl countered.

jungkook glanced at lia in question and she shook her head in reply, looking exasperated. his lips lifted slightly at her expression. gillian tugged at his jeans, gaining his attention. "piggyback, hm?" she blinked at him with big eyes. "who can say no to that face?" he crouched down to the twins' level.

"class a manipulation." lia remarked, glancing at the trio. with an ease that still amazed her, jungkook lifted gillian into his arms and sat her on his shoulders. gabriel scrambled up the boy's body as he straightened, making it all the way up to his torso.

about to make another remark regarding jungkook's presence, darryl paused, taking in the scene. his eyes fixed on gabriel holding on to jungkook like king kong to a skyscraper. "well, i guess he can stay a while." he muttered and twisted his neck, clearly relieved to get a break from his baby brother.

the girls snorted at him. he simply ignored them, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

"i'm going to get a drink." lia announced, moving towards the kitchen. she glanced back at jungkook as she neared her destination. "cheesecake, you want anything?" as soon as the words were out of her mouth, she wanted to cut out her own tongue.

☀️☀️☀️

this lowkey looks messy to me