prologue: part 1

Crying. Hugging. Chaos.

Pretty much the only words Avelyn would use to describe what the situation was at the train station. Everything was just chaos around her as the children were being boarded onto the train, being sent off to shelter or safe homes to keep them safe from the war.

She hugged her deep blue coat closer to her small frame and tightened the grip on her bag.

She looked around at the children who were saying their goodbyes to their parents.

The girl just smiled sadly as she tucked a few loose strands of her chestnut hair behind her ear. Her father had been off fighting in the war while her mother died when she was about 8 years old. She'd been raised by her aunt, who had currently just hugged her niece goodbye before running off to bid adieu to her own children.

Avelyn didn't know why she and her cousin's were not going to the same place to live. Her aunt never really gave her much of an explanation and she decided not to pester her about it too much. It wouldn't really matter afterall, she'd be going away from her cousins either way.

Avelyn climbed aboard the train, glancing one last time behind her, wishing that she'd catch a glimpse of her aunt or any of the cousins but they weren't there.

Sighing softly, the girl made her way inside. After stepping into an empty coach, she put away her luggage which was nothing more than a suitcase and a leather sling bag. She sat by the window, drawing patterns along the windowsill.

It had just been minutes befit he door to the coach opened, revealing 4 children. The older one among them, a boy with sandy blonde hair spoke

"Do you mind if we..?" He trailed off as the train jolted slightly, indicating that they were leaving.

"No not at all" Avelyn smiled at him before she turned back to look out the window.

She heard the children shuffle into the coach.

"I can do it myself!" One of them snapped.

She turned again to see a boy, who seemed to be around her age, clearly struggling to put away his luggage.

After several minutes of jumping on his tipy-toes, he finally managed to shove his suitcase onto the shelf above him.

He brushed his dark hair out of his eyes before looking at the older girl behind him who was smirking.

"What are you looking at?"

"Nothing" Susan said, still smiling "I'm just surprised that you actually did manage to do it yourself"

The boy rolled his eyes, that grim expression not leaving his face.

"Cheer up Ed" a small girl tried to sound cheerful.

The reply she received was nothing more than a scoff that escaped the boy's lips.

"You're going to live at the Kirk's mansion?"

"Hmm?" Avelyn diverted her attention to the older boy with curious eyes, wondering how he'd figured it out.

The boy obviously caught on her confusion and grinned, pointing to the tag pinned against her coat.

"O..oh" the girl said, feeling stupid as she cast a quick glance at the rectangular parchment.

"We're going there too!" The younger girl clapped, smiling widely "I'm Lucy"

"I'm Avelyn Knight" the girl smiled at everyone.

"I'm Peter" the blonde boy extended his had, which Avelyn shook firmly.