IX

Edmund and Avelyn sat as far away from each other while Peter spoke to them about the matter at hand.

"So, we're sure that he's in the woods currently" he spoke "and that's not too far away. If we don't do something soon, he might run off to somewhere else and we'd loose our chance of finding him"

"Are you saying we ought to go there now and finish him?" Susan asked

"Yes," Peter nodded "but we need to plan our attack. Fighting that sort of demon won't be easy"

"What did you have in mind?" Lucy questioned

"I say we take few of the centaurs with us" Pete stood up "the demon can't possibly take form of all our fears. It'll be easier"

"And when are we going?" Avelyn tilted her head, still unsure about Peter's plan

"Within the next two days"

"That's too long" Edmund sighed "he won't stay there for too long"

"Exactly" Avelyn joined "he's already killed two people, he'll be out for more and we'll loose our chance to find him"

"And if he goes to Telmar" Susan pointed out "they'll blame it on us Narnians"

"And the last thing we need is a war" Lucy sighed "are you sure we ought to wait that long?"

"We can't rush into things" Peter reminded

"That's what she said" both Edmund and Avelyn said at the same time, laughing quietly at their stupidity as Lucy joined in.

"Can you both focus?" Peter snapped, annoyed that the two teens were joking about during this serious matter.

"Sorry" Edmund cleared his throat but that slight smirk never left.

"Peter," Avelyn spoke up "I don't think we should wait any longer, we need to do something about it now before its out of our hands"

"Peter's right Aves" Susan said softly "we can't make hasty decisions. We have to move one step at a time"

"But we're not walking down steps" Edmund argued "were running down a steep hill. And if we stop, we'll trip and fall"

"We can't do something that'll put Narnia in danger" Peter reminded "keep that in mind"

"Yes," Lucy agreed "if we all go in and, Aslan prevent it, things don't go too well for any of us, Narnia will be captured by the Telmarines"

Avelyn and Edmund agreed half heartedly.

But they both exchanged glances.

Something that meant that they'd both do their own thing either way.

Edmund waited patiently for night to fall. Once he was sure that the rest of his family were asleep, he crept out, sword slung around his waist as he walked in the shadows of the castle.

He managed to sneak past the guards and make it to the gardens from where he could easily make it to the stables and out into the woods.

He'd almost made it to the far end of the garden when he heard a snap followed be an 'ouch'

He sighed

"I know it's you Avelyn" he spun around to see Avelyn creep out from behind a tree, her horse Lethal, following her "what are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" She huffed "I'm going after that wretched thing"

"Avelyn," Edmund tried to reason with her "you can't fight that thing on your own"