Chapter Three

I never went back to sleep.
I've been up all night just thinking.
My eyes are heavy and they burn from the tears and sleep deprivation I put them through.
I literally just met Phoenix and I already know I'll never be okay if I lost him somehow.
He's so important to me and even more so now that I know he'll be around when I'm awake.

           Looking around my tiny cupboard like room, with only the space for a twin bed and a small three drawer night stand.
Feeling the bruises and cuts all over my body from years of abuse; both physical and the emotional that isn't visible on the outside but hurts me everyday.

         Could I really go through one more day of this knowing Phoenix is somewhere out there right now.
I needed to know why he didn't take me away with him the first night he came to see me.
If he felt even an ounce of what I do for him then he'd never let me out of his sight.

       Scolding myself in my own head, I have to remember that I just met him and all these feelings could be lack of male contact on my part.
I'm not exactly sure but I've been thinking for hours how easily my butterflies found him and led him here.
Why should I have to stay here when I could go to where he is to get the answers he said he'd give me?

        Thinking things through isn't usually my style, so before I can change my mind; I close my eyes and move my fingers in a very familiar action even after all this time.
Just like two days ago, with little effort I have three butterflies flapping their glowing wings just inches from my face

          Opening my eyes I smile and ready myself.

"Okay.. I'm not sure how or if you're even the same as last time but I need you to take me to Phoenix.. I can't be here anymore and I need to find him."

     Feeling very stupid at the moment for a number of reasons I'm slowly losing my nerve.
Why am I hunting down a perfect stranger and planning on leaving so suddenly?
Yes I don't want to be here anymore, but will it be a good decision to just leave?
Will they even find him?
What if he doesn't want me there which is why he left me behind twice already?

        The questions are making me dizzy and just as I'm about to sit down and dissipate the butterflies, I feel fluttering lightness on both sides of my face.
Opening my eyes, I see two of the three butterflies fluttering against my cheeks as if to get my attention.
The third one is flying in one spot just in front of the door, waiting on me to follow.

       Looking around one last time, I grab the only thing matters to me.
A picture of Elias and I when I was nine years old.
We were both caught mid laugh and we both have daisies all in our hair and the flowers scattered all around.
This was a perfect moment and I'm so happy to have it.
Taking it carefully out of its frame and folding it so I can slip it inside my shirt so I won't lost it wherever we're going.

       Slipping into my flats I silently follow the butterflies through the house.
I have to step over each creak and loose board through the entire old house.
It's still dark outside since it's around four in the morning and I know everyone is still sleeping.
I'm barely breathing as I walk past Maes door.
She might skin me alive if she catches me leaving without a proper notice.

       Though a large part thinks she'd never let me leave.
She has too much fun being wicked toward me.

      Finally making my way out the back door, I'm intrigued to see the butterflies leading me to the garden again.
It looks even more haunting with the wisps of moonlight haphazardly strewn around as it gives way to the morning sunlight steadily making its way here.

        All three come to a halt in the exact spot that the picture I have in my shirt was taken.
I have that area memorized so I can still see us there with all our daises and our laughing.
Confused I wait for them to move along, but they just patiently flutter their little wings.