Chapter Seven

"Grandmother?"

My eyes are wide and I step back in the comfort of Phoenix and his head is immediately in my neck and I feel him inhaling.

Elias has his hands in his hair and looks terrified.

"Well.. we better go down there"

"Don't bother, dear boy. This needs to be done in private"

With a slight wave of her hand the doors close and she's standing there with white gloves in her perfectly polished fingers.

Saying she's beautiful would be an understatement.

         Her white curls are piled high on top of her head and her blue pantsuit compliments her eyes beautifully.
The same shade of blue that must run in our family since I see the same grey flecks and light blue that I see when I look in the mirror or at my brother.
Her cheekbones look like they could cut steel and her skin is flawless.
Just looking at her makes me even more self conscious.

I lick my parched lips at the same moment she opens her pink colored and surprisingly plump ones.

"You're beautiful sweetheart, will you come here so I can see you better?"

She was addressing me but Phoenix and Elias both answer her at the same time.

Firm No's resound and its back to silence.

"All right then.. let's discuss this difficult situation; shall we?"

        Her heels click against the wooden floors while she walks to an arm chair facing us.
Elias is still standing in the same spot and makes no move to give her a clear view of me.

         Phoenix has been silent which is making me anxious and I push even closer into his chest and wait for her to continue.
I know I shouldn't let her intimidate me but I feel like I have no choice.

"I've been told you're being called Daisy? How incredibly quaint..
Elias must have come up with that."

Her smiling does nothing to ease the growing tension.

      Slowly I feel my veins burning with a new fury at looking at the woman who is the cause of my separation from the life I should have had.

"Maybe I wouldn't have such a quaint name if I hadn't had to go into hiding to keep from being murdered"

       My voice comes out strong and angry which is exactly what I want.
A high pitched giggle bubbles up from her that simply doesn't fit and it silences me momentarily.

"Murdered huh? Clearly it wasn't a very serious attempt if you sit in front of me twenty years later."

Phoenix stirs now and I had almost forgotten he was here despite the comfort of sitting on him.

"That's enough Genevieve. I allowed you past my guards and into this room only for answers.
I'm sure you know that Daisy is my mate and she is under my protection.
So tread lightly and answer her respectfully.
I'd hate to show just how disrespectful I can be."

          Phoenix makes no attempt to move or to continue speaking so my attention goes back to her.

"Fine, I apologize King Phoenix. If I may continue?"

No one speaks or even seems to breath so there's her answer.

"Daisy.. I do apologize for the unfortunate events surrounding your birth. I'm also very sorry you were separated from your kind to live out your days with humans..
Sadly, it is true that I didn't want you to even exist then; but that's water under the bridge now.
I'll happily explain why that is, if you'll do me the pleasure of listening fully before drawing your own conclusions."