Chapter Twenty-Six: Finale

My father, Dawson Porter, was a scientist. He was one of the best of his time. Smart, logical, brilliant. He was the man I looked up to, he was the man I wanted to be like. And that's the man I'll chose to remember, not the one who was forced out of his sanity by a realm that took everything from us.

My mother was a prom queen. She was beautiful, and intelligent, and extremely charismatic, but she threw it all away for liquor. She gave up on trying and numbed the pain with alcohol. I never knew her any other way, so I'll be forced to remember that version of her. I just hope the picture I have of her reminds me that she wasn't so bad.

Loki was a god who took me in when I had no one. He managed to figure out that I was way more than just a sarcastic human being. He often treated me like nothing, but somehow I always knew he cared. He was my mentor, my closest friend, and quite possibly the first person I ever developed real feelings for.

Peter was April's boyfriend, and the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Yeah I was an extreme jerk to him, but he was always kind. And that means the world to me.

April was a valedictorian, brilliant in the ways of science like her parents, the most wanted from every east coast school. She was my sister, the first person I ever truly loved.

Well I'm Gwen. 22 and thriving! You already know my life story, it is a pretty depressing one. I'm sorry you had to listen.

I spent my entire life just living in blind hope that one day, just one day, I would receive the closure I thought I deserved. I guess that closure was death.

The only thing I will truly miss of my life would be April. She was the one that protected young homeschool me from almost everything. Except that one night at her prom, but thats a story for another day.

April Addison is and will always be my shining knight, my Star Spangled Banner. She has managed to save me from more than one burning building. So it only makes sense that she would be the one saving me from another.

She stands beside me, and her hands holding up a golden forcefield. I watch as fallen debris hits and bounces off it, rubble collecting around us. Her arms shake against the pressure but she doesn't let go. Once the sound of falling walls becomes silence, she releases her force field, it fades into golden sparkles in the air. Even in the darkness, I am able to see her blonde hair shine.

I turn to gaze up at April, her bright blue eyes shining as she doesn't leave my sight. She stays looking down on me, making sure I'm safe.

She collapses to her knees, covering her mouth as tears stream down her red cheeks. I pull her and hold her against me. I can hear her sobs choke her.

Her tears soak my top, and she doesn't stop shaking in my arms. I don't think in my whole life I have ever seen her cry this much.

I only hold her, rubbing her back and letting her sob into me like she has for as long as I've ever known.

Numbness takes over my entire body, I feel the urge to lay down but resist it. My fingers, arms, and legs tingle like I've wasted all my energy. I feel weak. Is it shock? Is it relief? I don't know, I can't tell. But I know that I'm happy. I'm in my best friends arms and that's exactly where I love being.

She squeezes me and hiccups, making me smile. Soon, the feeling starts to come back into my body. I burry my face in the crook of her neck and am very tempted to cry, but I fight it.

The smell of her comforts me, she smells like sweet fresh air, the same scent she's had for as long as I can remember.

And then it hits me, I almost died.