• WELL •

[A/N: Sorry it's late, my week's been a mess.]

"THAT CERTAINLY WENT WELL." Batman remarked dryly as he dropped in front of Jazz.

She didn't even bat an eye, instead moaning, burying her face in her hands. "She has every right. I accused her of not caring about my brother-- God, I'm such an idiot!" She groaned, tears popping to existence in the corners of her eyes. "How did I not see that coming! Ugh!"

"What exactly did you say?" Batman asked, slightly curious now.

"Ugh... there's this girl Danny viewed as a daughter... considering how bad and frequent the Ghost attacks were starting to get, he and Phantom both started setting up contingencies and protocols for if they died-- where copies of Danny's research was, what to do if there was a Ghost invasion, stuff like that--" Jazz told him, meeting narrowed eyes with no emotions but grief and shame. "The girl, Elle, she was a runaway and there was no way we could send her back, not when her 'father' nearly killed her-- so, instead, Danny sent her off to see the world she was chomping at the bit to see with a Ghost he trusted to keep her safe and out of trouble."

She could practically feel him raise his eyebrows, silently asking 'and?'

"...Minutes before the shield went up, she came to Amity Park and found out the worst possible way he was dead. She's blaming the world and Sam, one of Danny's friends was, from my point of view, brushing her off." She ran a hand down her face. "Considering that she's always on everyone about doing as Danny asked if something like this happened, I was pissed..."

"Why?" He demands gruffly.

Jazz moaned again, burying her face back in her hands. "Because Danny asked her to watch out for her! I thought she was brushing Elle off, but she wasn't! Oh, it was so obvious! There was no real villain in how Danny died and so she's making herself one while she gives Elle the time and space she needs to think! Oh, how did I not see that?! Sam's entire thing is that she's the rebellious, misunderstood teenager! If anyone knows what it feels like to need time and space it's her!"

"...It sounds like she also naturally keeps people at arms' length." Batman adds. "I probably would have come to the same conclusion."

Jazz looked up wearily, almost as if she were afraid he was messing with her and about to shout 'JK' like Dick does.

She swallowed a lump in her throat. "It doesn't excuse it. It won't excuse it-- even if they never said it, they never really needed to-- Sam and Danny were hopelessly in love with each other. What I said, in Sam's mind, is unforgettable. She may forgive me years and years from now, fully, for what was said, but she'll never forget it." Jazz ran a hand through her hair. "She's only working with me right now out of necessity. They needed a contact to the outside and I'm that link."

"...Is there a way to regain her trust?"

Jazz groaned, shaking her head. "Not that I can think of! I can't send anyone in because Sam won't except the help and Vlad will just find a way to villianize you!" She groaned, dropping her head back in her hands. "This is a mess!"

"Then I guess we'll just have to clean it up."

Jazz looks up in surprise, only to be further shocked to be met with his outstretched hand, a small smirk on his lips.

Jazz returned with one of her own, taking it to help pull herself up. "Right."