1

6th of august 2018

when kaycee rice woke up, she instantly almost went back to sleep when she realized all her summer days were over. she kind of liked waking up to whatever time she liked, and to do whatever she wanted. her problems only consisted of taking a bath and constantly forcing her sister to drive her to her classes.

it's almost as if she didn't want it to end.

who was she kidding, her summer felt more horrible than most especially when she wasn't distracted by even more horrible trigonometry work. she was more than glad her boring summer was over.

"kayc, baby, it's 6:30am. bails and tahani are coming out any time soon." it was her mom calling from downstairs, probably cooking their breakfast.

with a groan and a last glare at the bright window to the side, she managed to drag herself out of bed and to the bathroom to make herself look as human as possible.

it wasn't long before she was ready to go in her hoodie and leggings, and it wasn't long before her friends showed up at her door with morning bagels in hand.

"goodmorning, ricebowl." bailey grinned from ear to ear, offering her the paper bag of bagels. "why, you look good and fresh today."

her eyebags were puffier, and her curly hair wasn't even tamed really well. she didn't bother straightening it, and it looked like a bird's noodle nest. "nice, bails, nice."

"what? you look better than last ye—"

"than the last time she saw you," tahani finished off, shooting bailey a warning smile. "that's what she meant."

kaycee knew what she meant. at this point, she was numb to everything that related to whatever happened last year. well, almost a year.

but nevertheless, she was fine.

bailey looked apologetic though, to which she just regarded with a smile. she didn't care about him anymore.

"and good morning to you too, hani. driving today?" kaycee remarked, noticing the car waiting for them at the curb. "someone got their license permit."

"well, i passed the ed sooo," she shrugged in a nonchalant way but with a cheeky smile on her lips. "anyway, let's go before the bell rings. i am so not gonna start this year with a tardy slip."

the two other girls stared at each other with a grimace, and nodded in unison. "agreed."

west covina high wasn't really that far from their place. it was only almost a 10 to 15 minute drive, with a dunkin donuts stop if they wanted to. she wasn't really a coffee person, but lately, she became one.

they had atleast five minutes to spare when tahani pulled up to the highschool's parking lot. the school's front was littering with highschool students, filled with so much noise and hollers that you could almost believe their excitement for school.

"i will never understand how everyone's so happy to be back." bailey groaned, avoiding a guy who skateboarded past as they neared the entrance. "this is horrible."

"agreed." kaycee nodded her head, her eyes scanning the school corridor. she wasn't looking for anyone, at all.

and then she found him, surrounded by her other friends.