after all these years // malachai

You walked through the streets of Riverdale, with your new puppy. Taking in the town that you left after high school. Returning was a huge debate for you, but when you graduated and immediately got offered a job just outside of Riverdale, you finally decided to move back to your hometown. Your parents left, deciding to move to Florida where it was constantly warm and sunny since there was no more need to stay here with you off to college in another state. You moved into a house just down the street from your childhood home and you couldn't be happier.

You walked along the old train tracks that seperated the Northside from the Southside, though there wasn't much of a split anymore between the two side. Southside was looking much better than you remembered. You decided to turn back around and head to Pop's, which wasn't too far up the tracks, to grab some food.

"y/n? Is that you?!" Veronica exclaimed with a giant smile on her face, rushing around the counter to pull you into a hug.

"That it is! You look amazing and Pop's looks so different, but i love what you've done to the place." you looked around at the entirely different interior of your old favorite diner.

"Still retro and fun, but i updated the upholstering and some of the decorations and repainted. Menu is still the same so don't you worry." she sent you a playful wink leading you to one of the counter seats. You looked out the window, checking on your dog who was happily basking in the warm sunlight that beat down on the blacktop.

"I'm shocked you stayed in Riverdale honestly."

"Couldn't leave Pop's. I love this place too much." she said looking around the place with adoration on her face which made you smile, "sorry, duty calls." she said as a group of teens waved her over.

You looked around, taking in the changes when the doorbell rang, signalling that someone had come in. You ignored it, pulling out a book from your bag. You froze in your spot when you heard that familiar voice behind you.

"y/n?" they breathed. Your breath hitched and your eyes widened. You haven't heard that voice in years, but you never forgot it. You turned around in the stool coming face to face with Malachai.

"Malachai. Hi." you breathed. You took in his appearance - his arms looking stronger than back then, his hair is slightly longer, but his eyes were just as you remembered and his smile was a little softer. You weren't prepared for this moment, but everything hit you. Every emotion you ever felt came rushing back.

"Babe, come order." a woman's voice said from a booth. He gave you a soft smile and walked over to sit down. Your heart sunk a little as he sat down with her. Babe. Though things ended badly between the two of you, you still couldn't help but hope that one day the two of you would end up back together, even after all these years.

Flashbacks ran through your mind like nascar racers speeding around the track. You felt like you were watching a movie on your life.

You ran as fast as you could, jumping over small messes on the floor, laughing as you dodge people who were in your way.

"You're so going to pay for that when i get you, baby!" he playfully growled.

"Gotta catch me first." you called behind you.

"Gotcha." he grabbed your waist with his hands, pulling your back into his front, "you're not as fast as you think. Now tell me why you thought it was a good idea to dump cold water on me to wake me up."

"I thought it would be funny." you said through your laughter. Malachai's fingers moved to your sides and started wiggling in an attempt to tickle you, which worked. Soon you were on the ground in a fit of giggles on the floor with him laughing above you.

You smiled at the memory as another flashed in your brain.

"Happy valentine's day, baby." he whispered kissing your cheek. He handed you a long, skinny box with a red bow on top. You took it from him, sitting up in the bed and smiling widely. When you opened it, you were in shock at how beautiful the bracelet was. You took it out admiring each little charm on it.

"Each charm is a milestone in out relationship." he took the bracelet from you, showing you each charm as he explained.

A picnic basket to represent your first date, which was a picnic by Sweetwater River. A plain silver door to signify your first kiss that took place outside your front door after your first date. A palm tree that represents the first trip you ever went on together. A tiny hotrod charm that represents the first time the two of you said i love you but also the first giant fight you two had, which happened in his car. The first time you slept together represented by an apple, a joke about the forbidden fruit he made right before he took your virginity flashed through your mind.

"It's beautiful." you said as your eyes welled up with tears.

"Don't cry, baby." he whispered, cupping your cheek, letting his thumb brush away the single tear that fell from your eye.

You felt your eyes sting a little as you remembered the bracelet which still sat on your wrist, with a few more charms since then but still one of your favorite gifts. You listened to them talk and laugh and you knew he was happy with her. Your mind drifted to the way things were between the two of you back then and you wondered if she kissed him that way you did. You wished you had the chance to love him like you missed him.

You never told him that you still wanted to be with him, that you still had every feeling you've ever felt towards him. He was the love of your life and there was a huge part of you that wanted nothing more than to find him and tell him everything, but you never did. And after all these years, everything came flooding back, overwhelming you as you sat on that stool at Pop's. And it was just a quick "hello" then you had to go, and you probably will never know, you're still the one i'm after all these years.

You stood from the counter and walked out of Pop's. You untied Max before turning and taking one last look at Malachai, catching his eyes already on you. You sent him a soft but sad smile before turning and walking away.