3 | little like the fake smile

' as its life finally came to an end '

CRYING HAD ALWAYS BEEN A HEALTHY RELEASE, but for Mia Mitchell, it was a habit now

CRYING HAD ALWAYS BEEN A HEALTHY RELEASE, but for Mia Mitchell, it was a habit now. The blue feeling washed in like an unwanted wave, knocking her sandcastles flat. Then what? Was she supposed to construct them again? Get that bucket and spade out and make it pretty all over again? She sat. No more building, no more castles.

She sat and stared out of the window, more tears, no surprise there. She let them fall, not raising a hand to stop them. They splashed down onto the couch in a rain-like pattern and soaked in leaving dark splotches on the coffee coloured fabric.

When the tears weren't even halfway done, Mia was empty. She couldn't have cried even if she wanted to. The brunette already had experience with this feeling before. The sadness was still there, but not raw anymore - now it was like empty unhappiness - the kind she knew wouldn't easily lift. She felt like anyone could surprise her with the cutest kitten on earth, and she wouldn't feel a thing.

"Mia?" Glancing to her left, the said girl spotted her best friend, a sad smile supporting his features. "How are you feeling?" The brunette shrugged before continuing to look out the window, her mind numb. Isaac smiled sadly.

"We have school today." Mia hummed as she continued to stare outside the window. "We better change." Isaac nodded, pressing a kiss to her forehead before walking to his own room, who Mia's mother had made his before her accident.

The brunette sighed, slowly lifting herself off the couch and walking towards her closet, slipping on the first thing her hands touched. She was not bothered to look decent at all, not caring if she looked like a hot model or if she looked like a zombie. Who was she to impress?

After pushing herself mentally, Mia descended down the stairs, her fist clenched as she inhaled deeply, hurrying past all the picture frames hanging on the wall. Walking with her head low, the brunette entered the kitchen, grabbing the nearest and hurrying out of the house.

Mia peeled open the banana she grabbed, slowly biting on it as she entered her garage, grabbing her car keys and slipping inside her blue Lamborghini. She switched on the engine and waited for her best friend to come so they could leave together.

Mia continued to munch on her banana, her mind drawing blanks as she forced all her emotions and memories into a chest in her mind, locking it and shoving it away on the darkest corner of her mind.

"Shall we go?" Isaac asked as he got in the car, throwing their backpacks in the back. Reversing out of the garage, the two made their way to their high school, the faint sound of music swirling around in the air. The two sat in silence with Mia chewing on the inside of her cheek, her nerves acting up as she knew that the moment they exited the car, the two best friends would be greeted with looks of sympathy and pity from the students who, apparently, had nothing better on their time than to gossip and talk.

Hearing the familiar revving of a Lamborghini, all the students of Beacon Hills high school turned their heads to glance at the bright blue car parking close to the school. As soon as the two best friends stepped out, the students opened their mouths and allowed nonsense to flow out of it and into the ears of their 'friends'.

Isaac rolled his eyes at his school and grabbed his bag, handing Mia's her black leather one. Together, the two walked inside; one with his head high and eyes narrowed while one with her head down and eyes only looking at the floor in front of her to make sure she doesn't bump into anyone.

"Isaac. Mia." Hearing the voices of their friends, the latter took a deep breath in, forcing herself to relax as she looked up, drawing a fake smile on her face to hide her pain from their friends.

"Hey, guys." she said, her voice cheery yet her eyes said the opposite of that. Her eyes were the type of brown that was like sweet chocolate. The chocolate that melts at the slightest bit of the heat from love, or happiness. But that chocolate can also grow hard from the cold, harsh reality that is apparent in this world. Heartbreak, or the depression that she hid from all those around her so well, at least she thought she did.

The reasons Mia does this is was so she doesn't allow her friends to worry, the ones that had been with her through thick and thin, however, the pain had become too unbearable for the brunette and her fake smile began to crack from all the pain; a stranger once told the singer that nobody would want to be next to a depressed person. So the depression sat behind the mask and Mia's heart prayed for a soul to notice as her fake smile began to hurt.

"What's your first lesson?" Stiles asked as he wrapped his arm around Lydia's waist, the two leaning against each other as they stood.

"I'm just going to stay in the music room till break," shrugged the brunette, not really bothered if she were to get in trouble for ditching. Her group of friends nodded, understanding their friend before heading off to their own classes as the bell rang.

Mia walked with her head low, hurrying past everyone and walking to the room, chewing on the inside of her cheeks. She entered the music room, locking the door and closing the curtains. Dumping her bag on the chair, she sat on the piano stool, her fingers grazing against the ivory coloured keys. Inhaling a deep breath, her eyes shut as she allowed her body to take over, relying on muscle memory to play the correct notes for the song that would calm down her emotions.

While the brunette played her beautiful melody, two handsomely striking twins stood outside, leaning against the wall next to the room, arms crossed along with their eyes closed as they listened close to their mate, making sure no harm would come to their mate.