18

tyler's point of view

uncle scott has come down with a cold.

this leaves josh and i to do all the farm work, cooking, and cleaning. we made a deal that i would take care of the animals and cooking and he would do the crops and cleaning.

taking care of the animals is easy. making enough pancakes for two teenage boys is not. i had to almost triple the recipe my grandma taught me, but they were the best pancakes i've had in awhile, except for those at the diner.

"tyler, these are amazing." josh scarfs down his serving quickly, washing it down with some milk. "i'm glad i let you cook. if it were my responsibility, we'd be having toast or cereal right now. ramen for lunch and sandwiches for dinner. i am not nearly as skilled with a spatula as i am with a paintbrush."

"thank you." i smile a little at his compliment and take a bite of my food. they are pretty delicious, if i do say so myself. "well, you still have to clean. i'll probably be finished with the animals by the time you start with the crops and that means i get the first shower. that, my friend, is what's amazing."

"friend? i'm hurt. i thought we were lovers." he leans over and kisses my cheek, leaving sticky syrup residue on my skin.

"not anymore. you just got syrup on my face." i stand up and wet the corner of my paper towel at the sink. i go back to the table after i wipe my face only to find that he's finished his food and eaten part of my pancake as well. "josh."

"hm?" his mouth is full so he keeps it closed when he acknowledges me, which i'm grateful for.

"nevermind. i'm going to start my work. have fun cleaning," i kiss his cheek as he did mine and then walk out of the house, heading to the back of the property to begin my work.

i start with the horses, paying each one an equal amount of attention. i love the horses most out of all the animals, and riding them with josh to his treehouse will stick with me as one of my favorite parts of the summer.

the heat beats down onto my skin as i walk around each of the animals areas. i feed each of them and straighten the chicken coop a bit, making sure to gather all the eggs.

i finish up my work and head inside, waving at josh when i pass him in the field.

i head upstairs and get into the shower, taking my time. josh won't be done for awhile so i'm in no hurry. i stand still and let the water rinse down my back, closing my eyes and enjoying the feeling.

when i do decide that i'm finished, i turn the water off with a sigh and then wrap a towel around my waist.

when i step outside the bathroom, josh is leaning against the wall, sweaty and waiting for his turn in the bathroom.

it's too early in our relationship to do much, i know that, but seeing him leaning there, his t-shirt draped carelessly over his shoulder, has my mind running straight through the gutter.

"did you use all the hot water?" he stands straight and stretches his arms above his head.

"no, i don't think so," i mumble my answer before stepping past him and into my room.

i lean against my door and sigh again. my horomones need a few moments to get themselves under control, and then i get dressed in a pair of leggings and a t-shirt.

after i'm dressed, i leave my room and pause outside the bathroom to see if the water is still running. it is, so i decide to go downstairs and sit on the piano bench.

i let my fingers roam around the keys, playing out a tune that i haven't put to words yet. i close my eyes and get lost in the feeling. all of my feelings, anger, stress, sadness, annoyance, and even the fondness i feel for josh are released through the percussion.