32

tyler's point of view

"alright, boys, we have a busy day today. we need to get all of our daily work done before three. we have a birthday party to host, so no dilly-dallying." scott pours each of us a cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. "eat up."

josh seems to be in a good mood, considering how busy we are apparently going to be today. "sounds like a plan."

"i'll take veggies. tyler, you do fruits. josh, you take the livestock. make sure the animals are groomed and clean. and tyler, make sure to not harvest any fruit today. the kids are going to be picking them," scott instructs, shoveling oatmeal into his mouth.

"yes, sir."

-

work without josh is boring.

scott is a few feet away, working on the vegetables as he promised.

i sigh, wiping my forehead. the southern sun will be the death of me. if josh were here, i'd complain out loud. it would probably lead to a water-hose duel. not that i would mind.

the up-side to today's work, in contrast to not having josh around, is that i finish faster than normal.

"you done?" scott calls out to me when he notices me putting my tools away.

"yeah," i answer, crossing my fingers mentally in hopes that he won't ask me to finish the vegetables with him.

"go help josh then, would you?"

"course," i nod and then head off before he can say anything else.

when i reach the stables, josh is wiping off a saddle.

"you need some help?"

"i wouldn't mind a bit of assistance." he smiles when he sees me. "you wanna clean that other saddle?"

"i'd be delighted." i grab a saddle and a towel before i take a seat next to him in a rusting, metal folding chair. "so," i clear my throat. "why are you in such a good mood today, hm?"

"i finished another painting before anyone woke up, and it just set a good tone for the day, you know?" he tells me, standing up to put the saddle away. "that's the last one, by the way. i'm done after that," he says, coming back to stand in front of me. he bends over so we're closer to eye-level and then smiles wider. "you have dirt on your forehead, babe."

my cheeks burn bright and i hurry to wipe it off. "shut up."

josh laughs a little and stands back up again. "are you excited for the birthday party?"

my eyebrows furrow. "why would i be? it's not my birthday. why should i care?"

"because the mom's usually offer us a free slice of cake."

"i like cake."

"i like you."

-

before i know it, the first group of party attendees arrive.

"they're here! i'll go introduce myself. y'all make sure the tables and chairs are set up." scott claps his hands and leaves through the front door.

the screen creaks closed and i lean my head on josh's shoulder. "i don't want to get up."

he kisses my forehead. "you alright?"

"i just don't want to," i mumble, my eyes closing. the sudden sleepiness definitely does not make getting up anymore appealing.

"go get some rest, ty. i'll tell uncle scott you weren't feeling good." he presses a soft kiss to my lips and then stands up. "i got you."

i hum in agreement, thanks, and any other acknowledgment i am too tired to verbalize.

when i hear the screen door close again, i stand and sluggishly make my way up the stairs.

i make it to my room after what seems like an eternity of steps, and i strip off my clothes. i exchange my day clothes for a soft pink t-shirt and a pair of grey leggings. once i'm comfortable, i lay on my bed, closing my eyes.

i think of what next year will be like. senior year, according to everyone i've ever met, will fly by, but i'm not so sure. i don't see how it'll 'fly by' when most of my time will be occupied with mourning my relationship with josh.

i only have five days left with him. that's what will fly by.

my thoughts, and the tears i feel burning my eyes, motivate me to find something to occupy myself with. i stand up and run a hand through my hair, walking towards my window. i peer out at the land, my gaze settling on the party area. i see josh leading a few kids around the property to pick some fruit. a small smile pulls onto my face when as i watch him teach the little ones how to pull a strawberry off.

i'm brought back to when he taught me how to do the same and i feel a tugging, stinging nostalgia settle into my chest. i only have five days left with him. every day after that will be just like this, staring through a window of memories and wishing i could turn back time.

i find my thoughts drawn away once more. rather than the past or present, the ghost of christmas future visits my brain.

i wonder what it'll be like when i have a kid, if i decide to do so. watching josh interact with the children, i'm certain he'll make an amazing father, whether the child is mine or not. and maybe i'm naïve to even think about josh waiting for me to finish school, much less having a child with me, but, once again, the summer love phenomenon has clouded my judgement.

this time though, with five days left to spend with him, i don't mind having my head in those clouds.

(an: only four chapters left! are you excited?)