Chapter 70

My team started to walk out of the royal gardens when two carriages stopped before us.

"I hope you didn't have much trouble bringing those carriages here Stanford." Fredrick called as he exited his castle: "We wouldn't want Helix and his team to be without a ride to the Hallows, would we?"

Stanford audibly sighed, "No, we wouldn't. You owe me big time Fredrick."

"I do not." Fredrick retorted. He chuckled and approached my team: "I didn't want your team traveling to the stables while you were burdened with all of your belongings, so I had Mr. Pinesworth bring two carriages over here for you and your team to ride in. Don't worry about paying the drivers for your fare to the Hallows: they've already been paid and will happily transport you to Frostmourne Hallows."

"They were paid by money out of my coin purse."

"Stanford, please stop bitching about this." Fredrick retorted, "I'm trying to say goodbye to your second-in-command and his friends."

I blinked, "Pardon?"

He chuckled, "Sorry, I was rudely interrupted. Anyway, I wish you and your team good luck during this mission in the Hallows. Make sure you all dress warmly so no one gets frostbite. It's always winter in Frostmourne Hallows, so take care of yourselves."

"Warren already informed me that the Hallows were extra chilly, so I made sure my team and I got the proper winter gear so we wouldn't all freeze to death," I told him.

"Ah, Warren," Fred began, slightly shaking his head, "He sure does a good job running the Skag, but my does he have a twisted sense of humor."

"Twisted doesn't even begin to describe him." I replied.

Fredrick chuckled, "Well, I also made sure to get your team snowshoes-they'll fit over the boots you've all bought, and they'll also allow you to walk on softer patches of snow without sinking. Also, your carriages have been stocked with rations so you won't starve during this mission."

"Again, this came out of my coin purse."

"Shut the hell up Stanford!" Fredrick snapped, rounding on his commandant.

My jaw dropped. Fredrick never swears. I almost thought I misheard what he had said. Apparently everyone else felt the same way since my team members shared confused glances with each other.

"Say again?" Luna asked him.

Fredrick smiled ruefully, "I told my commandant to shut the hell up."

She nodded slowly, "Huh, duly noted."

This was mind-blowing: Fredrick never-and I mean never swears. He's the fucking high king of Alysia. You wouldn't expect such a highly-regarded individual to have a potty mouth.

Fredrick chuckled, "Just because I'm high king doesn't mean that I have a squeaky-clean mouth."

Analise grinned, "He has point. I'm amazed to admit it, but he has a point."

Fredrick rolled his eyes, "Considering I have people like you and Stanford working for me, I've picked up on bad habits from time to time."

I laughed, "Bad habits? I'm at a loss for words, Fredrick."

He patted me on the back: "Well, you never fail to amaze me Helix. Good luck on your mission, and godspeed."

"Helix! Helix-wait!"

Is that...my dad?

"Helix! Don't-." He stopped a few feet away from me so he could catch his breath: "-Don't go yet."