One

A/N: To the Bakers reading, welcome! So I've been writing this chapter for some time and since I'd decided to take a break this week and put up something that I was already done with, I thought I'd update this book. Unfortunately, there is one tiny spoiler hidden between the lines which maaaay allude to the ending of the Baked series but it's not a huge spoiler and I'm not even sure if you can spot it HAHAHAHA. Challenge for you!

Enjoy!

====================

Dear Vanilla,

          Have you been filling your tummy with enough cupcakes lately? ;-; I hope you've settled down in your apartment by now, but I'm not that worried since you've got Uncle Al by your side to help you with all the technicalities. Still, Xander and I decided to get you something to brave the chilly weather over there, so we got you a nice wool scarf to keep your neck warm. Giselle was the one who chose the colour. We hope you like it!

          It'll probably be a week before school starts by the time you're reading this so I'm assuming you're very excited (or um maybe nervous hehe) by now. I know making friends isn't the easiest thing in the world but it definitely is an important part in the high school experience! There may be times when you feel a little lonely over there, especially when Uncle Al returns next week, but as the independent and intelligent Vanilla I know you are, I'm sure everything will be alright.

          Should things not work out, don't forget that we're all a call away (' u ')/ hehe.

Love,

Chip

==========================

The long walk to the campus wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't pouring buckets from the sky, stranding at least a hundred students in the station frantically searching their bags for a non-existent umbrella or joining the queue for a cab. Every passing minute piled more anxious students in pressed uniforms into the station and yet, few were able to leave the shelter. Me included.

Shoulder-to-shoulder with another student of my year, a single badge pinned to the collar of her blazer, I checked the time.

"Five minutes to the opening ceremony and the rain isn't letting up," she said all of a sudden, turning my attention towards her. Not quite knowing what to say, I'd nodded then, adjusting the frame of my glasses. She didn't seem to mind.

"You know, they should totally hire shuttle buses for this," she went on with a sigh, faint amidst the pattering rain. "It's not like we get to stay on campus."

I laughed politely, nodding once more and shifting my book bag to carry it in my arms. Some, desperate and without umbrellas, had made a dash for the campus—a ten-minute walk away—with blazers raised above their heads and pants drenched within a single step out of the shelter.

"What's your name?" The girl beside me asked without warning. "I'm Xu Siyin. But you can call me Silvia."

Slightly taken aback, I was obliged to temporarily relief myself of rain worries and return the favour. "Um. Hello, Xu. My name's White." I turned away briefly before removing my blazer and bracing myself for the bite of the rain. "Sorry I have to cut our conversation short, um. I think I'll be going after all. See you around then."