Chapter 1

“There!” Kristine exclaimed as she stretched out her hand holding her sketchpad to admire the dress she finished sketching. She was getting ready to sleep early because she will be helping her best friend, Ariana, with her duties in the student council tomorrow when a design idea popped into her mind. She can’t wait for another day to draw it on paper because she wouldn’t remember it the next day. At that moment, she can’t help but be proud of what she made.

Her smile of admiration quickly turned into a bitter smile as waves of emotion came into her. She placed the pad down and stared at the sketch of a dress she will never be able to wear anymore.

A wedding dress that she designed herself.

She didn’t expect everything to be that fast. Last year, she was looking forward to turning 18 because it meant a little more liberty for her. Finally, she can do sleep-overs at Ariana’s house and watch concerts of her favourite artist! But everything turned downhill a month before her birthday.

That day, she got home from school earlier than her usual as per her father’s advice. It also piqued her interest when her dad sounded like he’s about to break a very big news to her when she arrives. Will he finally make changes for my birthday party? Or is it a surprise? She thought. But it was impossible to make major changes on the big party she didn’t really want but her parents insisted and she cannot think of any reason for a surprise. Regardless, she was enthusiastic to find out.

She found her parents in their living room, together with their family friend and their son. She knew the couple: Andrew and Vielka Del Valle, owners of Del Valle Holdings, the company operating hotels and resorts in the country. Their restaurants had been operating in their hotels for a long time already and they'd been business partners ever since. 

While the parents were busy chattering, their son, Angelo, was just sitting on the one-seater sofa, looking unbothered. When he caught her looking at him, she shifted her gaze as she felt her face burning.
That may not be her first time seeing him but they never really interacted before. This was the reason why she does not share the same excitement as her schoolmates whenever they talk about or share gossip about Narcissus, the band that gained popularity for posting song covers on Youtube and being recognized by the artist of one of the songs they covered, and particularly Angelo. In addition to that, she’s heard how notorious the guy is around women!

Well, he does look kinda cute. She dismissed the thought immediately.

Her dad called her to come near them. She gave her respect to the couple and a curt nod at Angelo, before turning to her dad, “what is this all about?”

Her dad went straight to the point, “We are here to discuss your upcoming marriage to Angelo. I’m sure you’ve met him before, right?”

At that moment, she felt her blood drain from her face. “Whose marriage?” she squeaked.

Her dad went on, not minding her question, “You still have 4 months before the wedding so use that time to get to know each other.”

Of course, she wanted to protest but the tone her dad used told her that there is no room for negotiation, if she even had the heart to protest. She was not the confrontational kind and she was afraid to cause a conflict. No words went out of her mouth. She just left the living room and locked herself in her room and cried. 

Her mother followed her after she left, knocking at the door to at least explain it to her but she won't open. She tried talking outside of the door but she can't even get a response. That's when she decided to call her identical twin sons who were staying at their penthouse near the business district. 
The twins didn't fail their mother and came later that evening to talk to their little sister.