12 "You're being safe, right?"

I've never felt more uncomfortable and awkward in my life. I'm sitting on my bed, Hunter beside me, both of us now with some kind of clothing on. It's awkward, humiliating and you could cut the tension with a knife.

I want the ground to swallow me right now.

My mom is pacing the floor in front of us. God bless her, nobody wants to see their child in bed with someone, even if said child is almost eighteen. I guess she always knew this would happen eventually but I think the biggest problem she'll have is the fact that this isn't just some random guy.

It's Hunter.

My best friends brother, who happens to be six year older than me and also just became a teacher at the school I attend.

"You're being safe, right?" my mom blurts out and I cringe at how cliche it sounds.

I barely nod. I shouldn't be in this position. Why does the universe hate me so much? What did I ever do to deserve this?

"Well?" My mother prods, waiting for an answer.

"Yes. We're being safe" my voice cracks, I had the talk a long time ago, it was torture enough the first time, I shouldn't have to do it again.

"Good" she says satisfied. She finally stops her pacing, thank the Lord because she was making me feel dizzy. "And you. Hunter Evans." she says turning on him. He looks up at her, and I swear he's gone ten shades deeper. If I wasn't in such an embarrassing position, I would laugh. "You're treating my daughter with respect?"

"Of course Mrs. Carter" He says, his voice low. He's just as mortified as I am.

"Good. Now I can't give you a lecture. You're both consenting young adults and I'm immensely proud that you're taking precautions, but just be careful, sex isn't just a pleasurable experience to be toyed with. It actually means something. And if you two are already at it, then there must be some feelings involved, correct?"

She couldn't be further from the truth. Maybe in her day, sex meant something but nowadays, sex isn't the big hoo hah old people make it out to be. Most of the time, especially with Hunter and I, It's just physical.

I don't tell her that though. I don't want her to think I'm a slut and it will only confuse her let alone how embarrassing it would be to even attempt to explain it.

"Yes." I say quickly. "But, nobody knows."

She looks confused for a small moment, her eyebrows furrowed. "So you two are together?"

"Yes" Hunter replies at the same time as I say.

"Sort of."

We both look at each other for the frst time since my mom burst through the door like a mad woman and we can't help but laugh at each other. The whole situation is as fucked up as it could possibly be.

I cover my face with both hands as my mom sits on the bed and our laughter subsides. "Well, I can't say I'm happy about this. The age difference is quite large, but I can't stop you."

I think my mom being pissed off about the age difference is hugely hypocritical of her, theres twelve years between her and my dad.

"And I'll keep my mouth zipped until you two are ready to tell people."

You'll be keeping quiet for a while then.

"Where's dad?" I ask suddenly realising Hunter and I are both still breathing. Had it been my dad that found us, I'm almost certain we'd be buried under the patio by now.

"He had to go back to work, apparently it couldn't wait until morning" my mom is seriously pissed off, though she would never admit it.

My mom is the typical stepford type. She doesn't talk out of line or ask questions. What my dad says goes. He's never been abusive, verbally or physically, its just the way their relationship is and it works.

I think it's safe to say I definitely don't take after my mom.

"Having said that, I am pleased he's not here to witness this"

That makes two of us.

"I think it's time you leave, Hunter" my mom says then making it clear its more of an order than a suggestion.

Both Hunter and my mom stand up, Hunter looking seriously uncomfortable. I feel so sorry for him, its not the easiest of situations to be in.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Emily." His eyes scan the room quickly and he spots the hoddie he had given me the night of the party a few weeks back and slips it on. It messes up his hair slightly and he looks devine.

I'm a little irritated, his hoodie was so comfortable and I love sleeping in it.

"Yeah, see you" I smile before he gingerly walks out of my bedroom door.

I hear him descending the staircase as my mom turns to me. I pick at invisible lint on the duvet beside my leg. "I'll see you in the morning, get some sleep"

Just by the tone of her voice I know her little rant isn't over. I dread waking up tomorrow.

**********

1.43am Hunter:

Thanks for the hoodie.

I squint one eye closed so I can read the text. I'm half asleep and he's decided to text me now?

1.44am Me:

Asshole. It suits me way more than it suits you. Besides its not like you don't have a million more. It's almost 2 in the morning. Why are you awake?

1.45am Hunter:

Bored. Wish you were here with me.

I don't know how to feel about his admission. Maybe I'm over thinking it but the again maybe I'm not?

Does Hunter feel something for me or is it just strictly physical as agreed?

I remember back to only an hour ago when he had told my mom we were together, but that was so much easier than telling her the truth.

No mom we're not together, we just fuck occasionally.

Somehow I don't think that would have went down well.

1.50am Me:

Well, unfortunately I'm not so I suggest you take a cold shower and get them dirty thoughts out of your attractive little head of yours.

1.52am Hunter:

Dirty thoughts? Me? Never!

1.52am Hunter:

Good night Emily.

I smile as I wrote my reply.

1.53am Me:

Good night Hunter.

My head is spinning, so much happened today, first my fight with Hunter at the school and being ditched by my supposed best friend. Then, the fact I had to walk home because I'm a stubborn ass who can't control her mouth, then Hunter coming over and having amazing sex and our talk about college. My mom catching us in the act and practically lecturing us about the consequences of sex and our little text conversation when Hunter said he wished I was there with him.

What does that even mean?

My eyes start to fall on me when I hear another beep.

It's another text from Hunter.

2.03am Hunter:

Did you really agree to go to the dance with that tool?