16 "Sounds familiar"

I'm standing outside, looking up at the tall, looming building.

It's almost dark outside but if I don't do it now I never will and a part of me is screaming that I need to do this. I've kind of talked myself into coming to see Hunter.

I was blissfully taking a shower at home thinking about Hunter and all his texts and phone calls and for some stupid and unexplainable reason, my mind started prodding me, telling me I should let him explain the situation.

I pushed the thought aside instantly, determined not to give him the satisfaction but my traitorous mind wouldn't let it go and kept niggling until I eventually gave in.

I had went to Taras house but he wasn't there, so I subtly worked Hunter into the conversation, thankfully she loves the sound of her own voice and wouldn't stop talking about where he was, who he was with and how much she hates Candice. I'm glad she's team Emily without even realising it.

So, even though it's late, here I am, my mind shouting at me to enter the fucking building and my body refusing to move.

When I feel the first speckles of rain almost twenty minutes later, I let my mind win just this once and go inside. I don't move from my spot just inside the door for a while, I kind of just stand there looking like a homeless person who has nowhere else to go.

I mentally slap myself for being such a pussy. Emily Carter is fucking independent, she's capable of hearing whatever it is Hunter has to say and damn right strong enough to deal with it.

I force my feet to move until I'm standing outside his door.

I raise my hand to knock but the door flies open and Hunter is there, looking as delicious as ever and smelling divine.

A small smile appears on his face which I return. "Hi" I wave my hand awkwardly with a blush.

"Hi" He returns. "What are you doing here? Do you want to come in?"

I nod once and he moves aside, his large muscular arm holding the door for me. He's definitely been working on his apartment a lot. It's actually starting to look like a home rather than a empty shell with a few pieces of furniture thrown in.

"I'm glad you're here, I was just about to come see you" He says as he shuts the door and follows behind me. Now i'm here, I actually have no idea what to say.

"Saved you a trip" I smile "Tara mentioned that your girlfri- Candice has gone back home and you said we needed to talk, so here I am" I say.

"Candice isn't my girlfriend" Hunter replies pulling my arm, so I fall onto the sofa beside where he's just sat. "Let me explain, okay?"

"Fine, but you don't owe me anything, let alone an explanation. I was just surprised to be honest." I tell him as I turn my body to face him.

He's looking at me in that way that only Hunter can, and it's tempting, frustrating and endearing all at the same time.

"But I never would have started this with you if I'd known you had a girlfriend"

"She's not my girlfriend!" Hunter repeats with an eye roll. I raise my eyebrows and wait for him to continue. He takes a deep breath before proceeding. "Candice and I met when I was in the military, I served with her brother Daniel. We spoke a few times over the phone, just general chit chat and only ever when Daniel was there."

Hunter takes my hand in his and it feels so comfortable and warm, his eyes glaze over as if reliving his next words and I grip onto him tighter.

His shoulders bob as he breathes deeply. I want to tell him he doesn't have to tell me, but I know he'll continue anyway. He hates animosity and friction and if there's a way he can guarantee that won't happen, he'll do it.