Chapter 13: The Kelly Family

The house on the Wall Lake side of the Blombergs proved to be owned by a man and his wife called Larsen, from whom I learned little. They noticed nothing during either theft since they were old and suffered from failing eyesight. This did not stop Mrs. Larsen from talking, however. After twenty minutes, I managed to divert the conversation from irrelevant gossip to her aches, gave a brief opinion on them, was informed she didn't "take much stock in doctors" and made a hasty exit the moment it was politely possible.

I decided to walk to the farmhouse next, largely because it was farther away from the Larsens and gave me time to clear my head. At first, I could see no houses in that direction, but after a short while, I came over a hill and saw a humble wooden house and barn. As I approached, I watched the smoke drift peacefully out of the chimney and dissipate into the sky.

A rustle in the brown cornstalks to my right arrested my attention, and I readied my revolver, heart in my throat. Another movement, a few feet away from where I was looking came next, and I saw a boy scrambling to his feet.

I put my revolver away and squinted at him. He looked familiar.

The boy met my eyes and gave a start. "Hey! Who are you?"

"Dr. Watson," I replied. "What are you doing in there?"

He shrugged, and I motioned for him to join me on the road.

As he approached, I was reminded of the boy Holmes and I had met our first evening in Wall Lake.

"Jack?" I asked. I was reasonably certain that was the name.

The boy laughed. "Jack's my big brother. I'm Will." He held out his small hand, and I shook it.

I glanced at my pocket watch. "Should you not be in school?"

Will grinned sheepishly. "Doesn't mean I want to be there."

I raised an eyebrow.

"I sneaked out a little early. Don't tell my parents," he said with a grimace.

"They are bound to find out, anyway. Do you live there?" I pointed to the house which was my destination.

The boy nodded.

I decided it was not my place to lecture the boy, but I would deliver him to his parents. "Come with me, then," I said and began walking.

He glanced around, as if looking for some escape, and then followed behind, muttering, "Jack said it was a bad idea. Dad's going to be so mad at me."

I sighed as I reached the door. "You did betray their trust by running away from school like that."

"Yeah," he said, kicking a clump of ice.

I gave Will's shoulder an encouraging squeeze and knocked at the door.

"Good morning," said a middle-aged woman with a kind face. A split second later she saw her son, and her face fell. "William Joseph Kelly! What are you doing home from school so early?"

The boy tried to shrink behind me, but I placed a firm hand on his back and pushed him gently inside the house.

"Sorry, Mother," he said with a grimace. "I won't do it again."

Mrs. Kelly sighed and motioned for me to come in the house.

"I'm Dr. Watson," I said. "I saw your boy as I was nearing your house and thought it best to deliver him."

"Much appreciated," she said. "You are welcome to warm yourself by the fire before you go."

"I actually have a few questions for you," I said. "I'm here on behalf of Sherlock Holmes."