Chapter 24: Two Gunshots

"I could shoot both of you dead before you have time to draw," Wright sneered.

The wind howled, and Reagan lowered the shade on the lantern to keep it from going out. The yard dimmed, and it seemed to me I had fallen largely out of sight. I crept through the snow, on my forearms and knees. The dark and the wind masked my progress.

"Would you bet your life on it?" asked Holmes.

"Would you bet yours?" Wright returned.

I was behind a large tree now, and Wright only three feet away. I groped around, hoping for a branch I could use as a club, when a hand clapped over my mouth.

My heart jumped into my throat, and I turned my head to see who my assailant was. The dark made it difficult to tell for a moment, but then I made out the white moustache and hat of Sheriff Sweet. He released me and whispered, "That's Cleaver Wright?"

I nodded.

"Then I say we get 'im in the leg." In the space of an instant, the Sheriff had drawn, fired, and Wright collapsed to the ground with a yell. Wright fired wildly, and I ducked behind the tree, grabbing the Sheriff's arm to pull him after me. I barely heard the lawman's yell over the wind and the gunfire, but I felt him stiffen and I could see the hole in the other arm of his overcoat.

The gunfire ceased, and I pulled the Sheriff's good arm over my shoulder and we struggled to our feet and around the tree. Wright lay face down in the snow and Holmes held three guns now. He handed me my revolver when I approached.

"Sheriff's been shot," I said. "I'm taking him inside. Bring my doctor's bag."

Holmes nodded. He and Reagan were dragging Wright, now in handcuffs, to his feet.

"Best not move your arm," I said to the Sheriff.

"Wasn't planning on it," Sheriff Sweet replied with a groan.

I managed to bring Sweet nearly to the front door when I heard a noise like galloping horses. I looked up to see two men on horseback descending the hill.

"Sheriff! You've been shot!" cried one of the men.

"We heard gunfire," said the second man. "Came to see what happened."

The horses quickly closed the distance between us. The first man leapt off his horse and steadied it. "Come to my house. It's warm, and I can send my wife after Dr. Irwin."

"I'm a doctor," I said. "Is your house nearby? We must stop the Sheriff's bleeding quickly."

"Just over that hill," the man replied. We worked together to get the Sheriff onto the man's horse.

"Go," I said. "Staunch his bleeding. I'll be right behind."

I turned to the other man. "The man we came to arrest is injured as well. I need to take the bullet out of his leg so he survives till his trial."

At that moment, Holmes and Reagan came round the corner holding Wright between them. He struggled only feebly, and a trail of blood followed them.

"Aye," said the horseman. The three worked to get the injured and handcuffed man onto the horse and they followed the first man.

Holmes handed me my doctor's bag. He and Reagan strode quickly up the hill and I followed as quickly as I could. My chest ached terribly and my breaths came shallow and painful. I hoped my ribs were only bruised and not broken.

Holmes noticed I was falling behind and halted a moment. "Watson, are you hurt?"

"Just a little battered and bruised," I replied. "Are you?"