Chapter 40: Lying in Wait

The appointed hour loomed ever nearer, and soon enough Holmes and I took our leave and began our walk to the Kelly's. We had made it perhaps halfway when Lawler approached from behind us in a wagon.

"Care for a ride, gentlemen?" he asked.

We readily agreed; the air was bitter and drifts of snow snaked across the frozen dirt road as the wind picked up and began to howl. Clouds masked the moon and stars. I was glad for the bright lamp attached to Lawler's carriage, for though the night was cold, at least it was not so dark. Soon we arrived at the Kelly's, all grateful for the warmth afforded by their small kitchen fire. Holmes, Lawler, and I were the last to arrive, for William Kelly and Jack were there and the Sheriff had come some minutes before. The house was not large enough for such a gathering—even with all of us standing, we did not all fit in the kitchen—but no one said a word about it.

It was clear Mrs. Kelly had been in vain attempting to convince the three younger children to go to bed, but they were far too excited about what was happening and their energetic discussion lent a little levity to the situation until their mother dragged them to their room and demanded that they stay put even if they do not sleep.

Little Frank called to us as his mother escorted him to bed. "Good luck, Mr. Detective! Catch the bad fellas real good."

Holmes smiled at the child's words, but a moment later his expression was once again solemn.

"What exactly is your plan tonight?" asked Mrs. Kelly when she returned.

"Reagan—or rather, Pat Crowe—thinks the necklace is in your barn," said the Sheriff.

"There's enough room for all of us to wait unseen in there," said Kelly. "Not you, though, Mary."

"I'll be ready at the front door, and if he even tries to come in here, I'll give him a face full of buckshot."

Kelly winked at her. "That's my girl."

Jack rolled his eyes.

"Nobody shoot to kill intentionally," said the Sheriff. "We need to bring this basta—excuse me, Mrs. Kelly—the son-of-a-gun to trial. I want to know how and why he cooked up this crazy scheme."

"And if Mrs. Blomberg's brother was at all involved," added Holmes.

There was one thing worrying me which no one had yet voiced. "Sheriff, would Crowe have access to a key to get Wright out of his cell?"

Sheriff Sweet's expression darkened. "I gave him one weeks ago and could not take it away now without arousing his suspicions."

Holmes broke in. "It is likely we shall be six against two. It was for that reason that I wanted so many of us at hand. I am afraid we have a long and cold vigil ahead of us as we do not know when Crowe and Wright will come."

"Well," said Lawler, "The last train they could take from here to Sac City and still make the line to Chicago leaves at a quarter to eight. I suspect they will want to snatch the last of the jewellery in time to make that train."

"Very likely," Holmes replied. "Though they could always arrive sooner; it is quite dark out already. Come; if everyone has suitably warmed themselves, let us make our way to the barn."

I was not ready to leave the warmth of the kitchen; I had only just finished thawing my toes. For a moment, I considered leaving my doctor's bag in the house, but I decided against it. As much as I hoped I would have no need of it, I knew I would feel safer if it was near at hand, and I supposed the barn would be warm enough that none of its contents would freeze.