Chapter 15: Miss Hallstrom

After finishing our meal, we headed for the train station. The sky had grown dark during our time indoors, both due to the waning day and grey clouds gathering low in the sky. Our timing was careful, so we had only to wait a few minutes in the cold for the train to arrive. It soon did, and forty-five minutes later found us in Sac City.

It was not difficult to find the home of Lena Hallstrom; one only had to say the name, and all knew in which direction that family lived. The houses in this small cluster were the largest, newest and most grandiose in the hamlet, and the greatest of these belonged to the Hallstroms. It was a tall structure of red brick, encircled by a large white porch and a white fence surrounding. The snow was fastidiously shovelled from the path between the stairs of the porch and the street, even that which had fallen earlier in the day.

I followed Holmes up the stairs to the porch and onward to the front door, noting that the house, while not overly pleasing to the eye, did carry a strong sense of self-assurance. The door was answered by a smartly clad housekeeper; she brought our cards to the occupants, who in turn gave word that we should be admitted to the sitting room. It was a stately room, with high ceilings, rich carpet, and potted plants, both exotic and local. Oil paintings hung upon every wall. A fire blazed in the great hearth and every window was unshuttered. The overall impression was neither comfortable nor wholly impressive.

Moments after entrusting our hats and sticks to the housekeeper, Holmes and I were greeted by Mr. Hallstrom, followed closely by his wife. He shook both of our hands firmly. "A pleasure to meet you, gentlemen. What brings you here to Sac City? I was under the impression you were in Wall Lake seeking a jewel thief."

"So I am," Holmes replied as we seated ourselves. "But I am also learning what I can of the unfortunate passing of Mr. Hugh Hieman. Am I correct in recalling that your daughter, Miss Lena Hallstrom, was previously engaged to him?"

"Yes, of course," replied the father, "but she has nothing to do with the matter."

"Even so," replied Holmes, "she may have knowledge of something without recognising its significance. Is Miss Hallstrom home at present? I have only a couple of questions; it should not take more than a quarter hour."

Mr. Hallstrom frowned, then shrugged.

"I shall fetch Lena," said Mrs. Hallstrom. She exited quickly, leaving us alone with the husband, whose expression soured as soon as his wife left the room.

"Lena has nothing to do with it," he repeated.

Holmes said nothing. The two men stared one another down for several long seconds, which stretched into a minute.

The uncomfortable atmosphere was broken at last by the arrival of the ladies of the house, who seated themselves side by side on a nearby settee. I could not help but notice, however, that the younger woman's body was angled a little more than slightly away from her mother.

"If I may," said Holmes, "I should prefer to speak to Miss Hallstrom alone."

Mr. Hallstrom bristled and opened his mouth to speak, but his daughter cut him off before he could begin.

"It is no trouble, Father," said she. "If he is to discover what happened to poor Hugh, he needs all the help he can find."

Mr. Hallstrom's proud chest deflated somewhat at his daughter's words, and he excused himself and his wife from the room.

Miss Hallstrom sighed and relaxed into the settee. "I'm sorry about my parents. It's like they're always trying to make up for the fact that we used to be poor."

"No apology is necessary, Miss Hallstrom," Holmes replied.

She smiled. "Just call me Lena; I'm not nearly so formal."

"Miss Lena," Holmes began again, "it is my understanding that you broke off your engagement on the eighth of January, the afternoon before he met with tragedy."

I quietly pulled out my notebook and readied my pencil.

Lena's wide eyes were downcast for a moment. She nodded, and when she lifted her head, her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

"Yes," she replied. "That is correct. But Hugh would never have ended his life over it—or anything. He couldn't have." She wrung her hands, guilt written all over her handsome young features.

"I quite agree," said Holmes.

I handed her a handkerchief.

"Thank goodness somebody does!" said she, dabbing at her eyes.

"Was there anything you found unusual in your then-fiancé's behaviour on the last occasions you saw him?"

Lena coloured. "He seemed perfectly normal, happy even, until I told him that I—I..." she faltered. "That I no longer wished to marry him."

"Of course," said Holmes. I gave him a sharp look, silently warning him to be gentle with the poor girl. He either did not notice, or pretended not to, for he ploughed forward with his questioning. "What was your reason for ending your engagement with Mr. Hieman?"

"Really! That's a rather personal question."

"I would not ask if I did not think it important. I apologise for causing you discomfort, but you must tell me why."

She looked away. "I simply no longer felt the way I once had about him. Feelings can change, you know. I—I think Hugh understood, but he was crushed all the same." She put her head in her hands.

"Did you see him again after he left your home?"

"No, of course not!" she snapped. "I went to stay with a friend that evening and never saw Hugh again."

"Have you seen or spoken with Silas Albright in the past few months?" asked Holmes.

She shook her head. "Goodness no. He knew how to tell a good story, but he didn't much like Hugh, so I saw less of him as time went on. He did not seek me out after Hugh's...after Hugh, either. I imagine he was too busy attempting to woo Alice Harrison."

"So I have heard," Holmes replied. "That is all I have to ask. Thank you for your time, Miss Lena." Holmes stood, and I followed suit.

She handed me back her handkerchief before clearing her throat and calling for a servant to show us out. As soon as we were out of the house, Holmes spoke. "If ever a woman still loved a man, Miss Lena Hallstrom's affections never wavered."

"Why break off the engagement, then?" I asked. "And why follow him in secret after doing so?"

"Why indeed," Holmes echoed.