Chapter 45: Denouement

I slept fitfully, but through most of the night and later into the morning than I intended. Light was streaming through the window and my head and side were throbbing in tandem. With a groan, I hauled myself out of bed and dressed quickly. I knocked on Holmes' door, but there was no reply, so I made my way to the dining room, where I found him seated with a newspaper and a steaming mug of coffee.

"Good morning, Watson," he said. "The next train to Sac City leaves in ten minutes, but I presume you would like to eat first?"

"Would I ever," I replied, seating myself across from him. "I've skipped quite enough meals during this case."

Holmes smiled. "I suspected as much."

After a hearty breakfast, we took the ten-thirty train to Sac City, where the Sheriff was more than eager to see us.

"I'm so glad you fellas are here," said Sheriff Sweet when we entered. "The paperwork Des Moines needs is an absolute nightmare."

"The real reason Holmes is a consultant," I said with a grin.

Holmes chuckled. "Not completely inaccurate, I'm afraid, but I'm willing to assist, nonetheless."

Sheriff Sweet nodded. "Good of you. The main things I need are a list of all evidence and its significance, including things later lost or destroyed, and I'd also like to hear your account of what happened the night Hieman was killed and Mrs. Blomberg's jewels were taken."

The Sheriff sat behind his desk and Holmes and I seated ourselves on the other side of it.

"Let us begin with the evidence," replied Holmes. "Watson, have you your notebook with you?"

I nodded, pulling it out of my jacket pocket. "I have notes from all but yesterday."

"Excellent," he replied, retrieving his own. "Between us, we ought to be able to finish this list."

It was a somewhat tedious process, and took well over an hour, but the Sheriff managed to complete his list. It was time to move on to the account of the night of the crimes.

"As little as I savour the idea," I said, "I believe we ought to do this within earshot of our two criminals so they can interject and correct us as necessary."

Sheriff Sweet and Holmes both nodded. Sweet gathered a few sheets of paper and a pen while Holmes grabbed three chairs. I opened the door and let the others through.

Crowe and Wright could be heard speaking in hushed tones when I opened the door, but they stopped as soon as we entered.

"I've got paperwork to do," said the Sheriff, "so Holmes here is going to run through what happened the night you fellas wreaked havoc on Wall Lake, so holler if he messes anything up. Clear?"

I glanced to Holmes, who was exchanging an icy look with Crowe.

"View's a bit different this way around, isn't it?" said Holmes with a smile.

"Don't antagonise him," said the Sheriff. "Not because he doesn't deserve it, but because we want an honest account, and riling people up isn't the best way to go about it."

Holmes nodded and we seated ourselves in a sort of semicircle facing the cells, with Holmes in the middle and the Sheriff and me on either side. The Sheriff and I readied our pens and papers.

"The afternoon of January 8th, Pat Crowe and Jesse Cleveland Wright took a train southwest from Chicago and arrived in Wall Lake after dusk but well before the last trains north or south departed. They crept into the home of the Blombergs via the front door, whose lock Crowe picked, and Crowe stole upstairs while Wright remained guard downstairs."