i. attention: caught

CHAPTER ONE.
[ i. attention: caught ]
/ IRL & TEXTING /

GARRETT CLARKE BEGAN to twiddle his thumbs to calm his boredom. Truth be told, being in the audience of The Tonight Show wasn't something to brag about. Sure, it would be something to remember, but it wasn't the recognition he craved. And yes it sounded selfish and bitter, but Garrett just had that type of personality and there wasn't anything to do to change it.

He rubbed his face as he exhaled abruptly. "What do you do in an audience of a show like Jimmy's?" Garrett questioned as he turned as looked over at his aunt Jennifer, who was too busy preoccupied with something on her phone.

"Whatever they tell you, I guess," Jen shrugged carelessly. She looked up from her phone, flashing a small grin as if she knew something. Garrett stared at her wondering why she would be smiling like that. "Garrett, you don't just stare at someone."

"Are you hiding something from me?" Garrett gasped, clutching his chest. The blonde woman shook her head, doing a terrible job of containing her sluggish smile.

"Would I ever lie to you?" Jennifer asked, turning to look at him. She instantly looked away to hide the smile that seemed to increase.

"If anyone lies to me, they're basically lying to God," he explained while nodding. His aunt nodded as if she understood. He noticed her smile, almost bursting out in a laugh. "Are you laughing at me?"

     "Stop questioning my decisions," Jennifer grinned. She crossed her legs and placed her hands onto her lap. "As an American citizen, I have the right to laugh."

"Yeah, and I have the right to know why you're laughing," Garrett fired back with a smirk on his face. Jennifer sighed and started to rummage through her purse.

"Just enjoy the ride, Garrett," Jennifer breathed out softly. She said it so quietly Garrett could barely hear her. But he understood. He leaned back into the sat and turned to look out the window.

He started to think of the celebrity costar. There were many possible candidates, ranging from a child to an elderly person; the possibilities were endless. One thing he didn't understand was why Jennifer would tell him. Who could be so important for it to become a surprise?

***

Garrett walked into the large stadium-type-thing where Jimmy hosted all of the shows. His mouth dropped in awe, glancing around at all the props. His eyes landed on the infamous desk. He imagined himself sitting down in the chair talking to Jimmy in front of thousands (maybe even millions) of people.

     "Mr. Clarke?" Garrett snapped out his gaze and turned to whomever said his name. He looked and saw a white male, a sophisticated male, holding a clipboard and a microphone near his mouth attached to his head with a headpiece. "You won't be needing a pass. Follow me to your seat," the man explained briefly before standing in front of Garrett.

     The clueless boy looked back at his aunt, who was trying to keep her smile hidden. "Uh . . . okay?" Garrett responded, a bit weirded out. He followed the man around the corner and up the stairs to the audience seats. There weren't many, but it could hold possibly more than fifty people.