xiii. sense of relief

CHAPTER THIRTEEN.
[ xiii. sense of relief ]
/ IRL /

WAKING UP EARLY wasn't something Garrett did. He would always argue that he needed his beauty sleep and instantly go back to bed. That was unless his uncle physically carried the stubborn teenage boy out of bed to lie him onto the ground. Still, Garrett would fake being asleep peacefully so he wouldn't wake up. The times that he would actually wake up was when he was still filming Shazam. It took all of his energy to wake up at six in the morning almost every day.

     In order for him to make the private flight, he would have to wake up at seven. The plane would be taking off around eight. Usually, Garrett would make every excuse documented in the book to stay sleeping. This would consist of his aunt becoming stressed as she would frantically try and get him awake. But again, this wouldn't be the day.

     Jennifer poured her coffee into her mug as she struggled to stay awake. She looked over at her husband, who was packing last minute things and putting it into a suitcase. "You think Garrett is up?" She yawned, placing the coffee pot back into the coffee maker.

     Robert, Jennifer's husband, laughed and shook his head. "Do you really think that boy of ours is up?" She shook her head with a forced smile.

     "Well, we gotta dream," Jennifer breathed out as she started to walk down the hall. She turned the corner and reached the door of Garrett's bedroom. Knocking quickly, she stepped back hoping he was up. To her surprise, the door opened relatively quick. There Garrett stood with a half smile plastered onto his face.

Jennifer went to speak her thoughts, but Garrett held up his finger in the air. She closed her mouth with widened eyes. "I know you're gonna say how I 'never get up this early', but I'm going to be flying out with this girl who is in love with me," Garrett confidently explained. His lips grew wider at the thought of snuggling close to Millie during the flight.

     Jennifer noticed how flustered Garrett began to be. She snickered at his expression. Thinking about how he must feel towards the girl. Garrett realized he was staring off into space, so he shook his head to shake away his thoughts. It didn't do any good because they still remained. His eyes met with the woman's. His cheeks reddening with embarrassment. "We leaving yet?" He asked to change the topic.

     "Um, yeah," she nodded, looking back in the direction of the living room. She turned back to him, "I didn't figure you were up."

     Garrett snorted softly under his breath. "You need to think more highly of me, Jenny," he sarcastically remarked. He nudged his aunt as he walked past her. "I'm glad I can still surprise you." He winked back at her playfully (including one of his familiar finger guns).

     "Wow I can't believe you're up." Garrett looked in front of him to see Robert carrying the final suitcase across the room. The teenage boy forced a chuckle. "Usually we're having to fight you waking up." Robert sat the (arguably) heavy suitcase beside the front door with a small grunt.

     "What can I say?" Garrett leaned up against the wall with a small smirk that was forming. He folded his arms for more dramatic effect. "I'm just so powerful," he stated with a shrug.

"We better leave if we wanna be there on time," Jennifer informed before downing her last sip of coffee. Garrett contemplating getting a cup just to keep himself awake and energized, but he figured he would just sleep during the plane ride. She walked to the kitchen, disappearing from his view.