Chapter Sixteen - Stranded on Shore

Chapter Sixteen – Stranded on Shore

"YOU DIDN'T CHECK THE FUEL TANK?" I exclaimed. We were surrounded by water with land barely in sight.

"Usually Hannah, one of our maintenance staff, does that," Parker pondered nonchalantly. "Maybe we have a spare fuel tank." He went below deck and rummaged around before poking his head up and confirming that they did not.

My phone had fifteen percent battery left and I tried to see if Google Maps could tell us if we were even remotely close to our destination. Zero bars. No signal. I should've stayed home. Parker unfolded our map and checked the compass on the boat. "The island should be that one right there," he said, pointing to the land mass barely visible to our right.

"Why don't we just call for help and wait here?" I suggested.

"Are you getting signal? Because I'm not. I'm also not about to miss the party of the year." He walked towards the back of the boat and opened up one of the compartments, pulling out a huge folded orange rubber thing.

He unfolded it slowly and I realised it was some sort of a lifeboat. "For emergencies," he said. "Also, you can swim right?"

"Barely." I looked out at the gentle waves that lapped up against the side of the boat, rocking us gently side to side. Sure, I could do one lap of a pool, but those were in controlled conditions with no waves, and a lifeguard just a call away.

"That's fine. We have lifejackets somewhere..." He attached the nozzle of the air pump thing to the lifeboat and the machine started giving off loud puffs, inflating the lifeboat. "Also, I'm a qualified lifeguard."

The lifeboat was fully inflated, and Parker attached rope to the end of it before lowering it into the water. "Do we have to paddle?" I asked.

"Nope." He pulled out a small handheld motor that could be held in the water to propel it, but also loaded two oars.

"I don't think this is a good idea," I muttered.

"You only live once, right?"

Which is why I want it to be for a long time, I thought. As it turned out, the boat did not have a lifejacket. Parker had anchored the boat before climbing onto the lifeboat. He tried to keep it steady as I lowered myself on. Once I had steadied myself, he untied the lifeboat and started the motor up.

It gave off a weak little roar, but at least we were moving closer towards the island. "See? The sun is just beginning to set. We're good," he grinned.

We were making pretty good time for such a tiny motor. We'd also been lucky that the boat had died even remotely close to shore. "I do not like spontaneity," I said.

"Neither do I, normally, but sometimes we need to leave our comfort zone right?" He raised an eyebrow. "What's the most adventurous thing you've ever done?"

I thought long and hard. "Umm..." There was the time I hid my DS under my pillow when I was little and pretended to be asleep. There was also the time I'd lied about which friends would be at a party I'd gone to.

"That is weak," he laughed when I finally told him.

"Shut up!" I exclaimed. "I'm a very tame person."

Suddenly, I felt a drop of water land on my cheek. Oh no. The drops started coming down faster and faster until it'd become a light drizzle. "Excellent," I said sarcastically. Even better, the motor began spluttering before finally dying.

"Two in a day, who would've thought?" Parker grinned, running his hand across his head to sweep the hair off his face.

"Is this your idea of fun?"